Feature suggestion. Motion blur RRS feed

• General discussion

• The final frames in hyperlapse don't seem to merge frames to create motion blur. It would be nice if the information from each frame and from the path reconstruction were used to generate motion blur with adjustable blurring intensity. It's the extra feature it needs to look even smoother.

Some movements of fast objects are very jarring once hyperlapsed, as if my eyes expect an even smoother movement from those objects. But the movement of the objects is right, it's just like very fast stopmotion, things jumping from frame to frame instead of actual objects moving fast being filmed. The contrast between this and the smooth path of the hyperlapsed camera is what makes it more jarring. Currently, the only motion blur seems to be the one of the actual shutter of the camera for it's 1x speed. 

Hyperlapsing at a lower speed, like 2x, and then speeding up in another software merging frames to create motion blur is not feasible, since the path reconstruction is different than actually hyperlapsing at, say, 32x. And a feasible motion blur would depend on the final path calculated. 

From the little of what I could understand from the paper there is a 3d reconstruction, so between that information and the information of each frame (for things not properly 3d mapped) there is a basis for creating motion blur. But maybe it could interfere with the actual algorithm too much so my idea is not feasible.

Saturday, May 16, 2015 8:06 PM

All replies

• Agree, it's worth offering, at least as an option. Timelapse videos can be quite jarring, and depending on the content, some blur can really make a difference.
    Saturday, May 16, 2015 9:52 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.  We've discussed adding this feature to Hyperlapse Pro, so it's good to hear that people are interested in it.

Monday, May 18, 2015 4:50 AM
  • Good stuff :-)

It is offered as an option on a few editors, such as the blend frames in premiere pro.

Monday, May 18, 2015 11:05 PM
  • It's be nice to have a slider for simulated shutter speed (angle). Especially when a majority of the movement is from the background, not the camera.. adding the blur (or frame avg) would be great. I know that's not the typical use of the software, but still. Even in typical hyperlapse shots there are periods where the camera isn't moving, just adding some frame avg for those would help.
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:30 PM