Lead to an Opportunity to an account RRS feed

• Question

• Our saff has requested that we use the sales steps below:

Lead - Opportunity - Account

So far, everything that I have read states that when an opportunity is created that you have to create and account or contact.  Well we would like to use the opportunities as an additional step in the sales prosses and not create an account until the opportunity is closed.  Is there any way for me to do this. 

Example:  Create a Lead in CRM.  Lead is convereted to a New Account Opportunity (NAO).  Contract is received, NAO is converted to an Account and Contact.  I want to make sure that opportunities are still available in the sysetem because we can still sell cureent customer new products and upgrades.

I am sorry if this is a really silly question with a simple answer, just started using the system.

Thanks,

Monday, August 20, 2007 4:53 PM

Answers

• You should be able to automate this with a workflow on the Opportunity Change Status event - for example:

When Opportunity Status is Changed

If

Opportunity.Status Reason = Won

then

Account.Status Reason = Live Customer

end if

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 7:46 AM

All replies

• There's little that you can do to customise the Lead, Account, Contact, Opportunity interaction, and there is no way to create an opportunity without a customer (either an account or contact).

Your best option is probably to use either the existing status or priority fields, or create a new picklist to distinguish between acounts or leads at differnet stages. I can see a couple of ways to do this:

Lead -> NAO Lead (i.e. Lead with a different status) -> Account & Contact

or

Lead -> Opp, NAO Account (ie. Account with a given status), Contact -> Live Account & Contact

The latter looks more reasonable to me, which could work well wth a workflow on opportunity close to automate the transition from NAO Account to Live Account

Hope this helps

Monday, August 20, 2007 6:12 PM
  •  

If I wanted to use the option:

Lead -> Opp, Account (NAO), contact -> Live account & contact

can I automate the transition from a Lead to a NAO.

Example:  Sales converts a lead and when the account is created the NAO option is selected, and then when the Opp is closed and won the account is converted to a live account.

thansk, 

Monday, August 20, 2007 7:16 PM
  • You should be able to automate this with a workflow on the Opportunity Change Status event - for example:

When Opportunity Status is Changed

If

Opportunity.Status Reason = Won

then

Account.Status Reason = Live Customer

end if

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 7:46 AM
  • Can the same thing be done for Lead to opportunity?

Thanks again for the help.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:50 PM
  • You cannot create an equivalent workflow to update an opportunity based on the status change of a lead, but you could use a workflow to update the account based on creation of an opportunity

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:34 AM
  • This worked,  and the way I created my "NOA" was to add "New Opportunity" to the Status reason field and set it as the default.  So anytime an account is created from a lead then it is Set up as a "NOA".  Is there any way to set the default view different for each person?

Thursday, September 27, 2007 12:55 PM
  • There's no supported way to give each user a different default view. There are ways, but it involves some unsupported client side script hacking

Friday, September 28, 2007 1:32 PM