Power savings from going headless? RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS box lives in my basement.  It has KVM attached, but most of the time I leave the monitor powered off and just RDP from another PC if I need to manage the server.  Recently I've been contemplating removing the video card and running totally headless.  Does anybody know how much energy can I expect to save from doing this, if the machine is on 24/7?  The video card is an ATi X1300 PCI-Express card.  Does it consume power even when the monitor is off and nobody's logged in locally?

I'm also weighing the potential benefits of headless operation against the hassle of needing to reinstall a video card if there are networking problems on the WHS box, or if I want to add a hard drive and need to get into the BIOS, or other possibilities I haven't thought of yet.

I'd love to know the experience of some who have traveled this road before me.
    Friday, July 25, 2008 5:49 PM

Answers

• In the interest of science, and astonished that the answer to my question wasn't 3 clicks away, I bought a Kill-a-Watt power meter and plugged my server into it.  Here are my findings:

With video card: About 145 watts at idle
    Without video card: About 130 watts at idle

My server hardware: EVGA nforce 650i motherboard, Intel E8400 cpu, 4 hard drives (2 sata, 2 ide), 2 PCI video capture cards, PCI modem card, all in a Koolance water cooled case.  The video card is an ATi X1550 PCI-express card.

At my current energy cost, that 15 watts running 24/7 is about $1 per month.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:46 PM

All replies

• My home built box has no video card, and I have the onboard video set to off in the bios.  I am not sure what kind of power savings that equates to, but in regards to the 2nd part of your question.

I have had my WHS for a bout 7 months now.  After initial setup, i needed to hook up a monitor, keyboard and mouse 1 time to check what was failing on POST.  Turned out I had a hard drive failure that wasnt realy failing.  So i set the bios to ignore POST failures.

6 months later, i did a reinstall after PP1 was official.

So not much hassel at all.  My whs lives in a storage room in a closset in my basement with all my other network and cable stuff.  I only see it when i go in there to get a beer from the fridge.  Every week or so i check it to just make sure the fans are blowing and what not.  Set and forget for me.

Friday, July 25, 2008 5:58 PM
  • Maybe some of these idle power in Watts charts will help... I don't know exactly which brand X1300 you are using, but they are all fairly similar
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2825&p=17
    Friday, July 25, 2008 6:14 PM
  • In the interest of science, and astonished that the answer to my question wasn't 3 clicks away, I bought a Kill-a-Watt power meter and plugged my server into it.  Here are my findings:

With video card: About 145 watts at idle
    Without video card: About 130 watts at idle

My server hardware: EVGA nforce 650i motherboard, Intel E8400 cpu, 4 hard drives (2 sata, 2 ide), 2 PCI video capture cards, PCI modem card, all in a Koolance water cooled case.  The video card is an ATi X1550 PCI-express card.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:46 PM
  •  Don3580 wrote:

Or about 3 gallons of gas per year. 

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:50 PM
  •  

And if you are on a budget for you gas & electric, a $1 savings is unlikely to show up as much of a change to the power company and therefore is unlikely to affect your budget amount one way or another.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 5:28 PM
  • Ok here is mine

socket 754 setup

Athlon 3000+
    Jetway S775MAX
    512MB DDR400
    12 SATA 2 drives equating to around 13TB
    2 Optical drives
    6600GT AGP card
    Network card
    2x PCI sata controllers

6x 12cm fans
    2x 8cm fans

wait for it..............

IDLE 182 Watts

Judging from others peoples above not too bad for the environment at all

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Those 12 drives add up and thats a very power hungry video card for its age.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:02 PM
  • Yeah It is, but its what I had lying around TBH, still I dont think that 182 Watts is alot ??
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:37 PM