External USB HDD as a stand alone network shared drive on WHS ??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have purchased a media player which connect's directly to my HD TV and it has a network connection to enable streaming of movies, etc directly from a network drive.
    I'm uncertain as to whether it will be able to see any of the WHS shares due to permission rights and logging on to the WHS.
    So, my question is, Can I connect an external USB HDD to the WHS and set is as a standalone network shared drive like you would on a standalone PC, and not have it as part of the WHS storage.
    I know you can connect an external drive to use for WHS backups, but need to know whether my requirement's are possible as I don't have a spare drive to test it with at the moment.

Thanks.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 6:54 PM

All replies

• You can connect a USB drive to your server, but if you don't add it to the storage pool you won't be able to manage the space on it using the Windows Home Server console. You would need to connect to your server using Remote Desktop (or physical keyboard, video, and mouse) to manage the drive by hand.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 14, 2009 8:56 PM
  • So can it just be used as a shared network drive seperately from WHS ?

ie, will I see it say for instance from my laptop as just a shared drive with no connection to WHS ?
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:21 PM
  • No, you would need to manually configure sharing for the disk as I stated, and it would appear as a share (or shares) on your server. You wouldn't be able to manage the share(s) in any way using the console, however.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 14, 2009 10:00 PM
  • On top of it, the experience is, that a shared USB drive or a shared folder on it rarely survives the next reboot, since the shares are often already assigned while the USB drivers or disks are not yet fully ready.
    So you would have to perform the sharing in a different, delayed way with some script.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 14, 2009 10:37 PM