How can I find out if a disc with Windows has already been activated/validated? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a copy of "Microsoft Office XP Proffessional with Publisher Version 2000" (3 disc set), but I am unsure If I have registered/activated/validated the whole lot or just the Publisher disc.

Is there any way I can find out before installing it?
    Monday, August 28, 2006 2:03 PM

Answers

• John,

Unless your copy of Office 2000 was one of the rare ones where Product Activation was a pilot program (IIRC mostly Australia) , there is no Product Activation associated with Office 2000.

BTW, when you install a component of an Office Suite, even if you install just one, you are considered to have installed the entire suite for licensing purposes.  It's not like you can take each program and install it on one computer by itself.

Monday, August 28, 2006 4:11 PM

All replies

• John,

Unless your copy of Office 2000 was one of the rare ones where Product Activation was a pilot program (IIRC mostly Australia) , there is no Product Activation associated with Office 2000.

BTW, when you install a component of an Office Suite, even if you install just one, you are considered to have installed the entire suite for licensing purposes.  It's not like you can take each program and install it on one computer by itself.

Monday, August 28, 2006 4:11 PM
  • Thanks

The CD case includes a Product Key, which I have a feeling I entered for the Publisher, so does this mean I cant use the Office discs on a different computer to that of which Publisher is installed on?

Thanks again.

John
    Monday, August 28, 2006 4:58 PM
  • John,

Some licenses for MS Office (as a rule those purchased at retail in a nice pretty box) allow one license of Office to be installed on two computers:  the license owner's desktop computer and the license owner's "portable computer" (aka laptop) for his/her own exclusive use.

If you don't have a license for Office that allows this second installation, then your installation of Publisher, if it was part of an Office Suite, counts as the one installation you are allowed.  You can't install Word on a second computer, PowerPoint on a third, and install Excel on a fourth.

Of course, in that situation, you could install the remaining major components of Office onto the computer that now has Publisher.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 2:47 AM
  • Thanks for the information, I will do some more research and see what I can find out about the liscensing situtation on my exact product.

Thanks again
    John
    Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:08 PM
  • John,

Search for eula.txt on the first Office CD, that's where they usually put it.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:46 PM