Stability problems. Should I reinstall WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having stability trouble with my Windows Home Server box.  It stops responding while playing music (I have my Zune library pointed to my WHS music share) and has tons of CqvSvc.exe error messages in the application log.  And to top it off, I have a corrupt file with the message "The tag present in the reparse buffer is invalid" which appears to be an open bug on Connect with no Microsoft responses for about a year.

I'm particularly concerned about the constant crashes while playing music...I'm guessing that it has might have something to do with the CqvSvc.exe errors since they are all over the place and the thread about that service here indicates that it's got to do with the Indexing Service.  On top of that, it crashes periodically while doing nothing (in fact, it just did while typing the post - I wasn't doing anything at all with other than looking through the application log in Event Viewer).

Would a WHS reinstall help with these stability problems?  I'm getting really tired of my WHS box not being available when I need it...
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would test your hardware out first by running a memory checker and running chkdsk on all your hard drives.  If it's still okay after than and Windows Home Server is still crashing then I would probably do a server recovery - make a note of the users you have first. 

Good luck,
    Al
    --
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:53 AM
  • Thanks Al.

WHS regularly runs chkdsk and the logs don't indicate any errors.  I even pulled the drives out awhile back and ran them through the SeaTools long test on another machine to check them out for data corruption issues (turned out to be a bad southbridge/disk controller and has since been replaced).  So I'm pretty certain that the disks are fine.

I'll run the memory through MemTest this weekend and see what that turns up.  The error reports it wants to send are often blue screen errors which can be caused by failing memory.

I'm still concerned about all the other warnings and errors in my application log, though.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Maybe just backing off your RAM timing settings in the BIOS or using the Compatibility mode found on some BIOSes may help.  Also if you are running 2x2GB DIMMs running one should increase stability - under normal duties 2GB is ample for Windows Home Server.

CqvSvc.exe  I think gives information to Windows Media Centre so if you are not using that you can disable this service but anyway it's errors are not that important - however it may effect some add-ins.
    --
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:13 PM
  • Being that this is a server, I've left all the BIOS settings to "auto" for stability.  I'm using the following hardware:

Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H motherboard
    AMD Sempron LE-1250 CPU
    2GB (2x1GB) Corsair Ballistix 1066
    Ultra 400w PSU
    2x 750gb Western Digital Green RE2 disks
    1x 500gb Seagate 7200.10 disk

Also, I found this thread about CqvSvc.exe and the remedy was to uninstall and reinstall the indexing service.  Some people, like myself, are seeing errors even when not using Media Center.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/0af457f9-badd-4023-80b2-8ba021a2829b/
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Auto doesn't mean stable.  Auto will just use what it identifies from the chips - but you can override these settings with more relaxed timing which may give you the stability you need.   For example if you have 1066MHz RAM then running at 800MHz would make for possibly a more stable system if memory timings are an issue.
    --
    Friday, February 26, 2010 2:44 AM