PP1 won't install RRS feed

• Question

• I got this error message on install:
    "This update can only be installed once server setup has completed".

I tried login in as an admin and used "sc delete whssetup" to no avail:
    "[SC] OpenService FAILED 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

Any ideas? Need more information?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:13 PM

Answers

•  Traditore wrote:
    I got this error message on install:

"[SC] OpenService FAILED 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

This advice is given without any idea what would happen.  This will get rid of your error but the risk is entirely in your hands.

From a quick glance at your error message and the inf file included in the update, start regedit

Go to HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows Home Server/install

Change the OOBE from whatever value it has to 0
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:21 PM

All replies

• It sounds to me like your original installation of Windows Home Server didn't finish successfully. Did you go through the OOBE phase at the end (starting with the Welcome... screen with a single button)? Is this a brand new installation? Can you run through installation from the beginning (booting from the installation DVD) again?
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:05 PM
  • My WHS has been running for a few months now and I can't remember about the OOBE phase. Your last question is unclear to me. Are you suggesting that I try to reinstall my server? Or is this some kind of install repair?
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:33 PM
  • Curious, you said after the failed installation you said you "then" logged in as an admin?

Have you used server 2008 User manager to make admins ?

It "breaks" things if you do this.  The ONLY admin on the whs box is administrator

Still......

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:58 PM
  • I would start over from scratch and reinstall the home server software.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:18 PM
  • It sounded like you were dealing with a brand new Windows Home Server installation. In that case, reinstalling from scratch would be the easiest way to get everything working. Since your installation is several months old, I wouldn't recommend that. You could try a server reinstallation, which is a special installation mode that setup will offer to you if all your storage pool disks are visible. I don't know if that's the best answer, though it will usually correct issues with an incomplete initial install.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:20 PM
  •  Traditore wrote:
    I got this error message on install:

This advice is given without any idea what would happen.  This will get rid of your error but the risk is entirely in your hands.

From a quick glance at your error message and the inf file included in the update, start regedit

Go to HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows Home Server/install

Change the OOBE from whatever value it has to 0
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:21 PM
  • Still Grey: Sorry for the confusion. I tried installing PP1 as Administrator, not a user with admin priviledges.

jleonar: I'll try that right away.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:34 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    You could try a server reinstallation, which is a special installation mode that setup will offer to you if all your storage pool disks are visible. I don't know if that's the best answer, though it will usually correct issues with an incomplete initial install.

How would I go about doing this? I booted from my DVD, but I don't remember seeing an option for reinstallation.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:40 PM
  • On like one of the first screens it should come up with server reinstalation.  In that drop down you can also see new install.  If new install is the only option for a working box, something is definatly wrong and just wipe it out <grin>

Still......

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:16 AM