none
Microsoft Community Contributor showing instead of MCC is message about proposed answer RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft Community Contributor was changed to MCC in the title. But, if there is a proposed answer, it shows as the full name. Is this intended?
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:57 PM

Answers

• In any case, I would only considering changing something if we need to. I'm not convinced we need to.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, August 5, 2011 12:17 AM
    Answerer
  • > I guess a picture might help. Is the below highlighted where the MCC affiliation would be more useful if it were more verbose?

The reason this was odd for me was because I had been involved in a lot of messages where I have requested that people should not be listed in the Post Header as "Microsoft Community Contributor" and had been happy when this was changed to MCC in the post header - so I'm not going to be the one to complain about the use of MCC here.

I don't really care if it's MCC or the name in full in the My Threads; My Forum Threads etc. lists as most people don't respond to a listing there in the way they do to a listing in the post header ("your company's products are the reason this isn't working") but I agree that for consistency alone it ought to be the same.

--------------------------------------

My main issue was that this discrepancy between the listing for post headers and the listing in My Threads (etc.) is leading to Microsoft Contingent Support people to be listed in post headers as private people (yet as Microsoft Contingent Support in My Threads).

Here it's also not consistent but it's the opposite situation. Here the consistent text that ought to be in both places is the text newly used only in the My Threads (etc.) listings with the present post header text (a header text that used to be correct) completely misleading. As the post header text is what you usually see, having that wrong is disastrous.

I hope that is clear.  (Btw I found the question as to your native language to be offensive)

Mike

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 6:30 AM

All replies

• Do you mean the message history shows the whole string? Yes, I'm probably not going to prioritize changing this for now.
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:04 PM
    Answerer
  • No, he means in two places:

1. When MCC proposes an answer

2. When you're looking at the all forum's threads who is the last person answered.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:47 PM
  • In any case, I would only considering changing something if we need to. I'm not convinced we need to.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 12:17 AM
    Answerer
  • Actually, i only meant #1, because i didn't pay attention to #2. Good point though.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 11:41 AM
  • Yeah, that's what i meant.

So, it's not likely to be fixed... was it intended though, or was it an oversight?

Friday, August 5, 2011 11:42 AM
  • > In any case, I would only considering changing something if we need to. I'm not convinced we need to.

This maybe isn't necessary in this particular case, but there are other cases where the name "When you're looking at the all forum's threads who is the last person answered." is different where this IS important.

I've just come across a case where a Microsoft (vendor) support guy is correctly listed as Microsoft Contingent Support when you look at My Forum Threads but is listed as "Wicresoft (MSFT CSG)" when he posts.

The first one is clearly an official support guy; the other one is equally clearly a regular guy from a company called Wicresoft who works presumably in their Microsoft CSG department whatever that is.

I have learnt to treat official MS support people with more care than normal users so this IS a major issue for me.

Mike Walsh

P.S. This isn't how it used to be - could this be connected to Moderator re-appearing?

Friday, August 5, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Just to be clear, this is in the Post header, MCC isn't 'enough' right?
    Friday, August 5, 2011 5:29 PM
    Answerer
  • > Just to be clear, this is in the Post header, MCC isn't 'enough' right?

Was that a reply to me ? If so I don't understand it.

Mike

Friday, August 5, 2011 7:04 PM
  • I guess a picture might help. Is the below highlighted where the MCC affiliation would be more useful if it were more verbose? Or is there some other place in the ux we are talking about?

Friday, August 5, 2011 8:27 PM
    Answerer
  • Brent,

What is your native language? Just curious. This is where the whole thing is shown and this is one of Brian's concern (another place is in when MCC proposes an answer). Brian thought it should be MCC here as well for consistency.

My blog
    Friday, August 5, 2011 8:40 PM
  • So we are saying we want less information and you want the last reply affiliation to be the same as the post headers? In this case, MCC everywhere? My native language is english.
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 2:54 AM
    Answerer
  • > I guess a picture might help. Is the below highlighted where the MCC affiliation would be more useful if it were more verbose?

The reason this was odd for me was because I had been involved in a lot of messages where I have requested that people should not be listed in the Post Header as "Microsoft Community Contributor" and had been happy when this was changed to MCC in the post header - so I'm not going to be the one to complain about the use of MCC here.

I don't really care if it's MCC or the name in full in the My Threads; My Forum Threads etc. lists as most people don't respond to a listing there in the way they do to a listing in the post header ("your company's products are the reason this isn't working") but I agree that for consistency alone it ought to be the same.

--------------------------------------

My main issue was that this discrepancy between the listing for post headers and the listing in My Threads (etc.) is leading to Microsoft Contingent Support people to be listed in post headers as private people (yet as Microsoft Contingent Support in My Threads).

Here it's also not consistent but it's the opposite situation. Here the consistent text that ought to be in both places is the text newly used only in the My Threads (etc.) listings with the present post header text (a header text that used to be correct) completely misleading. As the post header text is what you usually see, having that wrong is disastrous.

I hope that is clear.  (Btw I found the question as to your native language to be offensive)

Mike

Saturday, August 6, 2011 6:30 AM
  • I guess for consistency we want a uniform display, although I personally don't mind.

My blog
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 4:10 AM
  • Yeah, consistency.

For the record, i was referring to the bottom of the message that lists the history of a message:

But that's just what triggered my post. I think consistency everywhere would be quite a nice feature.

Please don't take this as a complaint. Brent, i think you guys are doing a great job here in the forums. Seriously, that's the main reason i've stuck around for so long. :)

Monday, August 8, 2011 12:17 PM
  • So the conclusion here is that this should probably be logged. It might not be a high priority, but it should at least be logged.

On one side, you could argue inconsistency, but on the other side you could argue that when "MCC" is sometimes spelled out then you are more likely to know what it is. It was originally changed to "MCC" in the most prolific case so that people replying didn't think an MCC awardee works for Microsoft. So I think we should keep it as MCC in the threads. (So if we were going to make a change, we should change the other ones to "MCC" as well. But, like I said, you can argue against it.)

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Friday, October 14, 2011 10:59 PM
    Owner
  • I actually like it the way it is now.

My blog
    Monday, October 24, 2011 6:59 PM
  • I actually like it the way it is now.

My blog

Agreed. The balance is that it's not as misleading as it was, but it's still clear and descriptive.
    Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Monday, October 24, 2011 8:27 PM
    Owner