mkv to my xbox media center from WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I can stream my mkv files from my window7 box that my xbox is pointed to but I cant get them to stream when stored on my whs2011.  Is there a reliable codec or software pack that I can install on my whs to enable this streaming. 

I know the workaround is to move them the desktop and then watch them on the tv but the whole idea of the whs is central storage.

I have looked around for some answers but what I find is pretty old news.  mkv2vob and rename to avi but that download won't execute.  The other is installing shark007 but I don't know if that is currently the best answer.

Thanks for the help.

Friday, April 6, 2012 4:26 AM

All replies

• I found if I install Divx onto my WHS I can now stream the video to my Xbox.  Now I just need to find the right audio codec.  When I launch the video on the WHS it says need to download an aac (255) codec.  Doing a search Divx is suppose to include that but I guess these files are not fully compatible.
    Friday, April 6, 2012 7:30 PM
  • Be VERY carefull with playing with codec packs as many come with all sorts of bundled crap and nasties you can't get rid of even if you uninstall.

Alway create a restore point on your WHS2011 before you play with settings or install non MS programs.

The following is not a recommendation for any particular codec pack, just what I discovered that actually works and is safe on my WHS2011  (because MS tells you sweet FA and doesn't support WHS because it doesn't pay for them). I firmly believe MS have only ever released  WHS 1 & 2011 as a teaser and to act as an intro for you to up your skills to working with a full blown SBS that actually makes money. Just like Oulook Express was only ever a cut-down intro to Oultook. 

I have discovered that the sharing issue of mkv files is unrelated to DLNA but is related to the fact that what windows media player can do translates to what the windows media sharing service will share out with microsofts version of DLNA. I discovered that simply changing the file extension from .mkv to .wmv meant that the files would now show up in the DLNA shares but of course wont always play on the client because mkv is just a container and if your client (PC or XBox or smart TV) can't decode mkv it still wont play. What I wanted was for the media sharing service to recognise mkv as mkv and share it as mkv via DLNA (streaming is just file sharing after all) and also for the web interface to be able to "recode" on the fly via Silverlight. Only one solution I tried worked. Search for shark007. You need to install this on your server (remote desktop) not on your client which should already have installed something like divx player or ffdshow to be able to play divx. Not all smart TV's can play mkv so check your user manual first if you are getting a message on your tv about an unsupported file type.

shark007 You need to download the 32bit <Win7codecs_v360.exe> and then the 64bit <x64Components_v360.exe>.

Install the 32bit version first then the 64bit components.

Now start 32bit from the start programs and go to help tab and windows filetype association button and yes.

Now do same for 64bit

Next stop and apply then start and apply the media sharing from server settings (or just reboot your server).

I can now see mkvs via DLNA shares and also mkv recodes via silverlight over the web.

Note: silverlight has a bug in that it cannot re-size correctly 4:3 to 16:9 and vice-a-versa at full screen so keep your web recode streams to less than full screen.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:13 AM