Errors in HS Console after changed boot disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i just wanna check with you guys and gals before i continue...

So i had a 500gb SATA disk as boot disk, and 3 USB connected disk's... i was a little afraid if the boot disk failed so i purchased another 500gb SATA disk and a RAID controller.

took the boot disk and the new disk and set it up like a RAID mirror Pair, the RAID controller had the ability to copy over the data from my boot disk to the empty disk and then activate the mirroring. Everything worked out great, The server boots up ok and i can use the shares from my clients, however in the Homeserver console, i get all sorts of errors, backup function wont start, file conflicts, missing HD's, etc...

It seems, that since my boot disk is now connected through the RAID controller, it has a new device name so Homeserver is missing the old devicename and the new devicename is treated like a new disk.

I am unable to remove the old devicename, because that option is greyed out, ( could be because homeserver is stuck "calculating disk..." ), and i dont want to "add" the new devicename because then im afraid homeserver will format it...

The only thing to do i guess is to run the installation again and choose the repair function, to get the system set up correct on the Raided boot volume.

What do you guys think?

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, March 22, 2010 11:18 AM hardware question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    • Changed type Ken WarrenModerator Monday, March 22, 2010 11:37 AM it's a question...
    Monday, March 22, 2010 7:36 AM

Answers

• You will need to perform a server recovery.This is the same process you would need to go through if your system disk were to fail and require replacement...

You'll find a bit more information about this process over here .

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, March 23, 2010 1:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by axglimt Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:11 AM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 11:18 AM

All replies

• You will need to perform a server recovery.This is the same process you would need to go through if your system disk were to fail and require replacement...

You'll find a bit more information about this process over here .

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, March 23, 2010 1:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by axglimt Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:11 AM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 11:18 AM
  • Ok, thanks... I will do a server recovery.

I have another question, One of the USB drives also has firewire 800, can i change from USB to firewire or will that screw up the server recovery?

Monday, March 22, 2010 2:12 PM
  • I would leave it connected via USB for the recovery, then switch it later.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 2:28 PM