WHS problem RRS feed

• Question

• hi, i have a serious problem with my whs.  i have hp server 195 lx.  i added a 1TB external drive.  the drive has a bad sector.  now, my console is not accessible.  i click on it, i get "an unexpected error has occurred in the windows home server storage manager".  then I remote desktop to the sever itself.  in the event viewer, i get disk error every few sec, the message is "The Device, \Device\HardDisk1, has a bad block".  On the Administrator desktop, I have a Console icon, i click on that, i can start the console, in the server storage tab, the external hd is showing unhealthy.  in the explorer, i have a 20gb C drive, then a 576 gb data drive.  i don't see the 1tb drive.  so, basically, how do i get my files back?  i tried to remove the external drive from server storage, but it says i don't have enough storage, which is weird,  i only have about 130 gb of shared folder.

so, how do i get my files back?

thanks

jw

Saturday, October 2, 2010 1:47 AM

All replies

• hi, i have a serious problem with my whs.  i have hp server 195 lx.  i added a 1TB external drive.  the drive has a bad sector.  now, my console is not accessible.  i click on it, i get "an unexpected error has occurred in the windows home server storage manager".  then I remote desktop to the sever itself.  in the event viewer, i get disk error every few sec, the message is "The Device, \Device\HardDisk1, has a bad block".  On the Administrator desktop, I have a Console icon, i click on that, i can start the console, in the server storage tab, the external hd is showing unhealthy.  in the explorer, i have a 20gb C drive, then a 576 gb data drive.  i don't see the 1tb drive.  so, basically, how do i get my files back?  i tried to remove the external drive from server storage, but it says i don't have enough storage, which is weird,  i only have about 130 gb of shared folder.

so, how do i get my files back?

thanks

jw

See this FAQ post on how to recover files.
    Saturday, October 2, 2010 4:38 AM