Moved project from E: drive to server with just C: drive. Compile fails with cannot copy web.config to E:\ drive RRS feed

• Question

• I develop on my E: drive.

I move the project to other servers which only have a C: drive.

On one server I map a E: drive to the C: drive and everything runs and compiles just fine

Without the mapping of the E: drive to C: drive, I just get that same error, cannot write to E: drive

Where do I force it to use C: drive and not E: drive.

If have tried the following, but it still fails with cannot copy to E: drive

1. I set the pubxml file to point to C:

< publishUrl>C:\WEB_SITES\OsgAssetWcfService</publishUrl>

1. I did a clean
    2. I did a publish web to file system

Target location to C:\WEB_SITES

But it still fails, with could not copy Web.config” to e:\web_sites…

Is there some properties dialog box that I’m unable to find that allows me to change this target location?

Richard Loba

• Moved by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:56 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:57 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

But your issue is out of support range of VS General Question forum which mainly discusses the usage of Visual Studio IDE such as WPF & SL designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System and Visual Studio Editor.

Because your issue is on website, I suggest that you can consult your issue on ASP.NET forum: http://forums.asp.net/  for better solution and support.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Wednesday, June 25, 2014 5:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:54 PM
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:56 AM
  • Hello Richard,

You might ask in the ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Thursday, July 10, 2014 10:30 PM
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:27 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

But your issue is out of support range of VS General Question forum which mainly discusses the usage of Visual Studio IDE such as WPF & SL designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System and Visual Studio Editor.

Because your issue is on website, I suggest that you can consult your issue on ASP.NET forum: http://forums.asp.net/  for better solution and support.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Wednesday, June 25, 2014 5:53 PM
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:56 AM
  • Richard,

I'd do a search of all files in the project (within Visual Studio) for "E:".

If that doesn't fin it, I'd search the other files within the project directory in file explorer.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:43 PM
  • Yes, that was the first thing I tried, where I did find the publishURL. I changed it from E: to C: but that didn't fix it.

Is it something to do with a Visual Studio 2013 WCF project?

I'm confused by the other person's comment

But your issue is out of support range of VS General Question forum which mainly discusses the usage of Visual Studio IDE such as WPF & SL designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System andVisual Studio Editor.

The IDE is what compiles and tries to publish my WCF service, and fails with a compiler error.

Can you be more specific on exactly what forum I should be forwarding this bug to, is there a special VS2013 that only deals with bugs?

Thank you

Richard Loba

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:28 PM
  • Hello Richard,

You might ask in the ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum.

Karl

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Thursday, July 10, 2014 10:30 PM
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:27 PM