SUS Server with External Tanjay RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have installed SUS in my environment but it looks like it is not recognising that my Tanjay device is on the internet.

My Tanjay is connecting through ISA2006 from the internet. It can sign in to OCS fine. However, updates are not getting to the device. When I look in the RequestHandlerAuditLog, the URL for my SharePoint site is the internal URL rather than the External one. Hence, my Tanjay can't resolve the name or download the update files.

I have configured ISA to pass my Tanjay's IP to the SUS server which appears in the RequestHandlerAuditLog file so it should realise that I am not on the internal subnet.

Has anyone else come across this? Do you know how the SUS server decides if you are an internal or an external client? (Presumably it is through IP address??) I have tried changing the Internal URL to match the external URL in the activation script but this just breaks the SUS server (I couldn't even get to the <SUSServer>/requesthandler/ucdevice.upx URL so I've changed it back now).

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers,

Bri

Friday, June 13, 2008 2:24 PM

All replies

• Anyone any ideas on this?.....

Please?....

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:33 PM
  • What version is currently on the external Tanjay?  I've experienced older versions of Tanjays that only update over port 80 and not over SSL.  If you are only allowing 443 externally then that is a posibility.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:02 AM
  • It is an old Tanjay with the version that needs HTTP (port 80) updates. I have configured my firewall to allow this. The tanjay can connect to the SUS server and receive the response XML. However, the response XML only contains the internal URL for my Sharepoint Server where the update files are held. The Tanjay cannot therefore resolve the address of the Sharepoint Server.

I need to understand why only the internal sharepoint URL is included in the response XML. If it included the external URL, I am certain it would work.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:57 PM
  • This is where the external URL provided to the device comes from.  The following is from the OCS Update Service Deployment Guide so you don't have to rerun the config script again to modifiy the external URL- http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/6/7/c677d1e5-10b8-45da-be50-38648d814fbd/OCS_UpdateServiceDeploy.doc

If this doesn't work, you may need to get your new phones connected on your internal network first for thier initial update and then they will work externally after they get a later version.

After you have deployed the Software Update Service, you cannot change the internal update URL on the Software Update Service. The way you change the external URL varies depending on whether you are updating the URL on a Standard Edition server or an Enterprise pool.

Update the External Update URL of the Software Update Service on a Standard Edition Server

If you want to change the external update URL of the Software Update Service on a Standard Edition server, you can rerun the activation script (documented in a previous section) and update the ExternalWebfqdn parameter.

Update the External Update URL of the Software Update Service on an Enterprise Pool

On an Enterprise pool, you can only update the external download URL and can only change the download URLs using WMI.

Use the following procedure to update the URLs external download URL, the internal download URL, or the external download used by the SharePoint Update site.

To configure the external Web farm FQDN to the Software Update Service

1.       Log on to an Enterprise Edition server hosting the Update Server. Use an account that is a member of the RTCUniversalServerAdmins group or has equivalent privileges.

2.       Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.

3.       At the command prompt, type wbemtest.

4.       Click Connect.

5.       In the Namespace box, type root\cimv2, and then click Connect.

6.       Click Query.

7.       Select one of the following:

·         On a Standard Edition server, type the following:

Select * from MSFT_SipUpdatesServerSetting where BackEnd="(local)\\rtc"

·         On an Enterprise pool, type the following:

Select * from MSFT_SipUpdatesServerSetting where BackEnd=”SQL database instance”

8.       Click Apply.

9.       Double-click the result returned.

10.    In Object Edit, double-click the ExternalUpdatesDownloadURL property.

11.    In the Value box, type the external URL used to connect with the Software Update Service using the format https://<external server FQDN>/RequestHandler/ucdevice.upx.

12.    Click Save Property.

13.    Click Save Object.

14.    Click Close.

15.    Click Close again, and then click Exit to close wbemtest.

Friday, June 20, 2008 2:29 AM
  • Thanks for trying with this Steven. I have configured this URL already with the correct external URL but the problem I have is that this is not being passed to the Tanjay via the XML response. The Tanjay is receiving the internal URL.

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:32 PM
  • It should receive all URLs

So maybe your config was not updated yet?

Friday, June 20, 2008 10:51 PM