one care reinstallation RRS feed

• Question

• Why can't I reinstall one care with a new e-mail address? I was looking to close my old account because I keep getting spam sent to it.
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Saturday, July 11, 2009 6:49 PM (From:Windows Live OneCare Update)
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 6:27 PM

Answers

• Your One Care account is linked to the Live ID used to activate One Care. If this can be changed it would have to be done through support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    I don't know that opening a new mail account will solve your spam issue. All e-mail accounts get some spam. A better option might be to use some of the available spam management tools in your current Live Hotmail account.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Why can't I reinstall one care with a new e-mail address? I was looking to close my old account because I keep getting spam sent to it.

As Jim mentioned, you can't change the Windows Live account used for OneCare itself.  However, you can still easily resolve the SPAM problem with the old email account while retaining the Windows Live Billing account itself just for your OneCare subscription.

To do this, log into your existing (old) Windows Live Billing account at the following link:
    https://billing.microsoft.com

In that account, select 'Go to personal information', then 'Edit personal information' and then change the 'Contact e-mail:' to your new email address.  This way, any messages sent by Microsoft about your OneCare subscription will still be received, but none of the old junk mail.

Also, keep a record of your old billing account name, password and how to login in case you need it in the future.

This way you can freely change over to your new email account to avoid the spam, while still keeping your old Windows Live ID account for OneCare only.

As for SPAM, no new email account normally gets any at all if the account name isn't obvious (e.g. forget simple names) and it's never been used or exposed openly on the Internet.  I've had the same account for several years and to this day have never received a single true SPAM message.  The rules to avoid SPAM are exceedingly simple, but also very difficult to follow properly.

First, only give your email address out to trusted individuals or businesses, create a separate 'throw-away' account to give out to others if you must and never answer or send email to these untrusted people from your main account. 

Second, NEVER post this email address anywhere open to the Internet, only in 'blind' settings screens on forums (that you fully trust) or other hidden accounts (similar to OneCare Billing).

Third, tell those individuals you do give your email address to that you never wish to receive jokes, stories, or other mass email from them.  If they must send these items, give them the throw-away address, since otherwise Jim is correct as these types of messages distribute your email address to potentially dozens of others you don't know.

The hot potato here is that if anyone you have given your email to gets a virus that scrapes email addresses, or someone with your address decides they don't like you, this can destroy all the careful work you've done to that point.  So consider carefully who gets this address.

My main email account is used only for personal business (major name companies only, none I don't fully trust) and a handful of trusted friends.  This is difficult, yes, but it has meant I haven't had to change this account since I got it several years ago.

Rob
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 10:29 PM

All replies

• Your One Care account is linked to the Live ID used to activate One Care. If this can be changed it would have to be done through support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    I don't know that opening a new mail account will solve your spam issue. All e-mail accounts get some spam. A better option might be to use some of the available spam management tools in your current Live Hotmail account.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 6:48 PM

As Jim mentioned, you can't change the Windows Live account used for OneCare itself.  However, you can still easily resolve the SPAM problem with the old email account while retaining the Windows Live Billing account itself just for your OneCare subscription.

To do this, log into your existing (old) Windows Live Billing account at the following link:
    https://billing.microsoft.com

In that account, select 'Go to personal information', then 'Edit personal information' and then change the 'Contact e-mail:' to your new email address.  This way, any messages sent by Microsoft about your OneCare subscription will still be received, but none of the old junk mail.

Also, keep a record of your old billing account name, password and how to login in case you need it in the future.

This way you can freely change over to your new email account to avoid the spam, while still keeping your old Windows Live ID account for OneCare only.

As for SPAM, no new email account normally gets any at all if the account name isn't obvious (e.g. forget simple names) and it's never been used or exposed openly on the Internet.  I've had the same account for several years and to this day have never received a single true SPAM message.  The rules to avoid SPAM are exceedingly simple, but also very difficult to follow properly.

First, only give your email address out to trusted individuals or businesses, create a separate 'throw-away' account to give out to others if you must and never answer or send email to these untrusted people from your main account. 

Second, NEVER post this email address anywhere open to the Internet, only in 'blind' settings screens on forums (that you fully trust) or other hidden accounts (similar to OneCare Billing).

Third, tell those individuals you do give your email address to that you never wish to receive jokes, stories, or other mass email from them.  If they must send these items, give them the throw-away address, since otherwise Jim is correct as these types of messages distribute your email address to potentially dozens of others you don't know.

The hot potato here is that if anyone you have given your email to gets a virus that scrapes email addresses, or someone with your address decides they don't like you, this can destroy all the careful work you've done to that point.  So consider carefully who gets this address.

My main email account is used only for personal business (major name companies only, none I don't fully trust) and a handful of trusted friends.  This is difficult, yes, but it has meant I haven't had to change this account since I got it several years ago.

Rob
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 10:29 PM