Switch business process workflow with a field in a form RRS feed

• Question

•  I have been looking online but I can't seem to find any documentation. I would like to be able to switch business process workflows based on a field change. 

That is to say I have contacts and some of them are consultants in my own firm and I use a field to mark them as such. What I would like is for that field to update or rather switch the business process workflow once I select a value. So if I go to a contact and click the drop down to select consultant, the business process workflow switches to a consultant workflow that I created as well.

I was hoping that perhaps you could point me to some documentation that would allow me to figure out how to interact with the business process workflow either programmatically or using business rules. 

teach a man to fish ... etcetera

Monday, November 4, 2013 8:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• I would like to have a business process flow appear only for contacts who are consultants. Like in an HR platform where you can "place" individuals to jobs. Is it possible to have the business process flow appear only when a certain condition is met? 

eg regular contact form no business process flow at the top. 

But a user enters the contact as a candidate for a position and the business process flow loads a placement process ?

I guess I can do it with a separate entity but my users would prefer to have just the one form and be able to specify type.

However the business process flow remains on the screen the whole time  so it won't make sense for regular contacts, or clients only for candidates to be placed.

I hope that makes sense. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Friday, November 1, 2013 11:50 AM
  • Hi,

I believe that it is possible to have different process flows for different security roles.  This is covered in the Business Processes training video: Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 Processes New Features 

I hope that this helps.

Best regards,

Becky

The CRM Business - a UK based Microsoft Gold Certified partner http://www.thecrmbusiness.com

Friday, November 1, 2013 12:04 PM
  • Thank you

Monday, November 4, 2013 8:23 AM
  • what I am actually trying to do is a little different. It is for users with the same security privilege to view different workflows based on contact type now, I have implemented 2 workflows that users can switch between is it possible to automatically switch business process workflows based on a drop down field in the form. That is if the drop down field is used to select one contact type it also switches the business process flow?

Thanks in advance

Monday, November 4, 2013 8:25 AM
  • Hello,

you can create workflow on contact entity which you can configure to fire on field changes, you can select your field, so when you will change that field your workflow will run.

Our Website | Our Blog | Follow US | My Facebook Page | Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Application Design
    Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

Monday, November 4, 2013 8:53 AM
  • you can't switch process OOB, but you should be able do custom development to cancel workflow if required.

Our Website | Our Blog | Follow US | My Facebook Page | Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Application Design
    Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

• Marked as answer by shamstabrizi Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:12 AM
    Monday, November 4, 2013 8:57 AM
  • I see thank you. I designed it in such way that the the workflows work together so that the contact process ends and one doesn't to carry on to the consultant workflow unless the contact is a consultant within the firm or related to the firms internal business process. 

Monday, November 4, 2013 9:30 AM
  • hello,

I have the same problem i have to switch business process workflow automatically,

please ,can you explain us the solution that you used?

H.Ben

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:54 PM