none
Edits to forum posts "running" very slowly for past 24 hours´plus RRS feed

• Question

• My Moderation sessions have been taking for ever for the past day or so because of the need to wait a noticeable time for every single post edit (of other peoples' posts) to go through.

I am working with the same browser; computer; and lines as before so that is not what is causing the problem (and all non-forum activities are as fast as ever).

It's now almost at the time level that a simple edit is taking almost as much time as a Split used to take.

This applies to all edits. It does not come and go and is irrelevant of what edits are being made (major or minor)

Mike Walsh

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• This applies to all edits. It does not come and go and is irrelevant of what edits are being made (major or minor)

Try HTML mode?  Script interference in there is noticeably less.  It's worth it just to speed up typing.   E.g. HTML.  Type.  Update.  Format.  HTML.  Type.  Update.   Etc.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Well apart from HTML mode first being an extra click (and wait) and also - at least in my experience - doesn't work at all for some posts (5% can't be edited ?), there is then the problem that you need to add in line feeds; bolds etc. in HTML. No problem as such but it does mean a longer time is needed to make the edits / add suitable text (and needless to say adding links is even more messy)

But it's an interesting idea especially because it indicates that there is far too much script intereference. Could this be that the code in the forum software for code section insertion is far too bulky? Note that most of the posts I edit have no code sections so I could do with an option for the forums that in the normal screen excludes any adding code option.

However the point remains. Why is it much slower now than it used to be?   Another major code improvement?

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 5:46 PM
  • We are looking into this. To confirm, this is submitting right? Waiting for the commit? When did this start happening?
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:25 AM
    Answerer
  • Could this be that the code in the forum software for code section insertion is far too bulky?

@ Mike,

I'm talking about HTML generation, not just sample code insertion.  In the composition frame every character we type has to go through a script so the keys which generate HTML can be interpreted as they are entered.  In the HTML source frame just normal text editing is done, so there is much less delay for our typing.  I think the effect is most noticeable when trying to reply in huge threads or preview windows with many threads open, so I guess it could also help to break out my replies into separate threads at least.  Usually I compose my replies in a Preview page so I suppose by using the HTML source frame I am actually getting the benefit of both effects, less thread overhead and less editing overhead.

@ Brent

This isn't something that happens to me a lot, just something that I'm aware of and this is my workaround for it when it happens.  BTW recently I have been using Google Chrome and it has happened with it too.  So it's not just a problem for IE users.  ; )

Robert
    ---

Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:39 AM
  • Robert:

> I'm talking about HTML generation, not just sample code insertion.

I knew that. I threw in sample code creation as additional forum code that was something that I didn't need.

Brent:

>To confirm, this is submitting right? Waiting for the commit? When did this start happening?

- clicking Edit is the same as before

- yes, it's waiting for the commit

- hard to say exactly when it started happening as usually you notice this sort of thing only when it's been going on for a few days. I first really noticed it on Monday, but it would not surprise me if it started on the previous Friday (say) or a couple of days before that.

On Monday it was so bad I had three sessions in different IE8 tabs and moved between them as soon as I had committed in one tab. Far too stressful but sessions were really dragging out when using only one tab.

Mike

P.S. Thanks to Naom for posting his confirmation.

Later: I'm talking about something like ten seconds per submit of an Edit of another poster' post. Often I am only amending the text of the Title.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:49 PM Later added
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:06 AM
  • For about 2 last weeks submitting a post takes ~45 sec.

Is it possible to do something about it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 11:17 PM
  • Do things seem a little better after today's update?

Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, January 21, 2011 2:10 AM
    Answerer
  • Test.

Update. This test took quicker - may be 5 seconds. Let's hope it's going to be this quick and even quicker.

Update1. My latest reply took ~1s. to post - thanks a lot.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Friday, January 21, 2011 3:08 AM