Installing Win7 upgrade via XP[pci.sys] RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have 1 computer and 1 HDD
    I need to refresh my computer, my normal process for this is to buy a new HDD for the same computer

unplug the original HDD on a weekend,
    on the new HDD I then install windows + my other software, then when everything is OK (could take 2/3 weekends before I am satisfied)  swap the drives and use the old HDD for data I missed and backup

Simple? no

regrettably I bought Win 7 upgrade
    I have 3 full copies of XP (before sp1) and 1 vista none work, the XP's give me blue screen pci.sys and vista hangs 'completing'

I do not believe I am unique I am reading up about slipstream but is there anything else anyone could recommend

jnc

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512

should help

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

• Proposed as answer by Noel D PatonModerator Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by jnc Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:03 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:49 AM
  • Many thanks, this looks good, I will have a go and report back

jnc

Thursday, March 7, 2013 2:27 PM
  • I have not had a chance to try this but I am sure it will work so rather than leave it I will mark you as answerer

jnc

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Have just had the opportunity to do this 'update' I used the Registry 'hack' and it worked no problem, thanks

The real problem is that Microsoft are punishing genuine licence holders. The last time I did a machine clean I phoned Microsoft and got my number unlocked, no problem.

This facility is not available now and I have to go through these hoops. I know this method(s) are easy but it took a while to find you to point me in the right direction.

In these days where customers are difficult to come by I do not think it is a wise policy

jnc

Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Glad it worked for you!

MS are just enforcing rules which have been in existence since 2001 - but have been fairly lax in application.

Windows 7 was almost certainly the biggest-selling product in MS's history - and will probably continue to hold that record forever, since the plans appear to be for annual releases here on out.

MS will definitely be grateful to see the back of Win XP next year - it's been a thorn in their side which would have been extracted long ago, but for promises made around 2004 which they have, to their credit, held to. They also extended consumer support for Vista to 2017 last year. No other major in the industry that I know of supports products for that length of time.

They ain't all bad :)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:48 PM
  • I don't disagree that it is 'only right and proper' my issue is that I am an honest owner and I felt I was being punished

The lesson I have learned is not t buy an upgrade however tempting the offer.

jnc

Monday, March 25, 2013 8:12 AM