Network Health Icon - Stuck on Critical RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Just installed the latest beta. Install went fine. I didn't have time to configure things after the install so I just left everything at default.

Overnight, apparently the server tried to backup my main desktop PC with almost 3/4 of a terrabyte of storage. The server was installed on a 200 gb disk. Obviously, this was a square peg in a round hole problem. It wasn't going to fit.

So, I proceeded to try to delete (using the Server Control panel) the backup of the drives that were successful. This was harder than it should be. Several reboots later I had cleaned out the backups. I ran the config and excluded most everything but My Documents on one of my drives. Ran the backup and it was a success. Interestingly, when in the server control panel the Network Health is green but the tray icon on my client PC continues to be red and says Network Health critical. Not sure how to square things even though I have tried rebooting the server several times.

I'd also like to mention that the interface for excluding directories is very poor. It should be a listbox with checkbox options next to each directory. It takes forever to select each directory in the current interface.

Based on my experience, I think you might want to add some new logic to the default "magic" backup routine. A quick compare of disk size on the PC versus the the disc space available on the Server should be done. If there is a mismatch, a message should appear that there is a problem and offer you the option to exclude directories for the backup.

Also, I take issue with the using the Red Network Health Critical nomenclature for a simple Backup problem. Yellow alert maybe, critical no. Critical should be reserved for things like the server has gone belly up or other really critical problem.

Finally, am I allowed to talk about the Home Server beta on my blog? I didn't sign an NDA but I haven't read in detail the EULA so I don't know what I am allowed to say publicly.

Overall, I am initially impressed with the product. I am going to test my slimserver network to see how well it works. I am connected to the Verizon Fios 15/2 fiber network so I have plenty of bandwidth to test things.

-CB

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:16 AM

Answers

• The tray icon being out of synch with the actual status of the WHS health is a known issue.  I reported it and so have others.  The word is it is "fixed" internally and won't be like that in the final product.  One workaround is to 'Exit' the tray icon and then run it again from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\WHSTrayIcon.exe.  And when you find that the backup screen in the console is out of synch, try this workaround.  Right-click any of the PCs and choose 'Backup Now', then cancel the action.  That causes the window to get refreshed with the correct status.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:09 AM

All replies

• The tray icon being out of synch with the actual status of the WHS health is a known issue.  I reported it and so have others.  The word is it is "fixed" internally and won't be like that in the final product.  One workaround is to 'Exit' the tray icon and then run it again from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\WHSTrayIcon.exe.  And when you find that the backup screen in the console is out of synch, try this workaround.  Right-click any of the PCs and choose 'Backup Now', then cancel the action.  That causes the window to get refreshed with the correct status.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:09 AM
  • I had the same problem as the topic starter. This solution worked for me.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:35 AM
  • Thanks. That worked for me.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 2:03 PM
  • This workaround doesn't work for me unfortunately.
    WHS reports errors on the Vista machine for everything (updates, firewall, AV and spyware) despite all being turned on and working fine.
    Vista is x64 which I know isn't supported yet, and presumably maybe part of the problem?
    Should I report this as a bug, or is it already covered in existing reports?
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 1:45 PM
  • I've noticed also that the WHS tray icon will report a "critical" status complaining that VISTAPC (my Vistal Ultimate box and the machine I use as my main desktop) doesn't have AV or firewall or Defender running.  This takes place whenever I restart the Vista machine.  It appears that the WHS icon loads and runs before any of the antivirus, Defender, or firewall services have started.  I end up having to kill the WHSTrayApp and relaunching it after the computer has finished booting.  I'll write a suggestion in a few for the tray app to be written so that it waits until all the services on the desktop have started and are running. 

And I agree, it shouldn't show as "critical" if a machine has missed a few days of backup...I get this error for my work laptop, which is rarely used at home.  There should be a way to mark a machine as infrequently used, or something to that effect.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:23 PM
  • For the issue where it is critical after reboot, I found this bug:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=261565

Put your vote in, since this is a very irritating (and disruptive for some users in my home) issue.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:06 AM