Reinstalling Windows Home Server- NO OPTION to reinstall? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a very early copy of WHS, from back when it first came out.  I have recently received a few messages indicating that there is a problem with the primary drive on the machine.  So far, it has been able to repair the problems, but I don't want to push my luck, so I purchased a replacement hard drive.  Based on my research, I learned that replacing the system drive on WHS should be as simple as inserting the WHS server installation DVD, and then choosing a reinstall rather than a new installation.  Unfortunately, after putting in the new hard drive and booting to the DVD, I find that my only option is new installation- the reinstall option is simply not there.  What can I do?  

Thank you,

Douglas

Monday, June 14, 2010 9:20 PM

Answers

• Was this the only drive or are there others in your system? If there are others make sure they are plugged in. On the screen that asks you to verify if all the drives are there make sure that drive 0 is the new drive, not one that says DATA. 

• Marked as answer by pendragn32 Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:27 PM
    Monday, June 14, 2010 9:32 PM

All replies

• Was this the only drive or are there others in your system? If there are others make sure they are plugged in. On the screen that asks you to verify if all the drives are there make sure that drive 0 is the new drive, not one that says DATA. 

• Marked as answer by pendragn32 Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:27 PM
    Monday, June 14, 2010 9:32 PM
  • On 6/14/2010 4:20 PM, pendragn32 wrote:

Hello,

I have a very early copy of WHS, from back when it first came out.  I have recently received a few messages indicating that there is a problem with the primary drive on the machine.  So far, it has been able to repair the problems, but I don't want to push my luck, so I purchased a replacement hard drive.  Based on my research, I learned that replacing the system drive on WHS should be as simple asinserting the WHS server installation DVD, and then choosing a reinstall rather than a new installation <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd309759(WS.10).aspx>.  Unfortunately, after putting in the new hard drive and booting to the DVD, I find that my only option is new installation- the reinstall option is simply not there.  What can I do? 

Thank you,

Douglas

My understanding of this is if the DVD detects a System drive (one that
    actually has the WHS operating system on it) then it will present the
    option to do a Server Reinstallation.  Since you're trying to install it
    on a "clean" hard drive, the DVD is prompting you to do a new install.

Assuming that you purchased the exact same drive, in theory you could
    use something like Acronis TrueImage or Image For DOS to copy the old
    drive to the new drive.  (You'll have to put them both in a different
    computer, to make life easier, I believe)

But, I would wait for someone with more experience and expertise to
    chime in before trying this route.

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated your OS and Antivirus today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Monday, June 14, 2010 11:28 PM
  • Thank you both for your answers!  I have four drives in my system.  I can't do any sort of exact copy because I'm moving from a 300GB Seagate IDE drive to a 2TB Samsung SATA drive.  However, the comment about making sure drive 0 is the new drive got me thinking.  The new drive was necessarily installed on the SATA3 connector (the only one left), but I went ahead and told BIOS to boot to that drive first.  The WHS installer caught on that time, and presented me with the reinstall option.  It seems to have successfully rebuilt the storage pool, and now I'm working on WHS updates before installing connector software and doing backups again.  So, it looks like I'm good to go...well, except for the message that WHS popped up overnight telling me that the new hard drive is failing... :( :( :(.  I'm really hoping this is just a quirk with the new drive (I ran a scan, and it reported fine, and WHS "fixed" the problem), but if I see just one more of those error messages, I guess I'll be doing this whole process all over again when Samsung sends me a replacement drive.

thanks,

Douglas

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:26 PM
  • To others who have this problem. I did not see the Reinstall WHS option. Even after making sure the drive order was correct, slipstreaming the drivers, etc.

I fixed it by running Check Disk on the original install Volume C. Then I saw the Reinstall option. Reinstalled and all working well now.

Monday, September 12, 2011 10:53 PM