anyone succesfully using an ASUS Terminator T1 box (Socket 370 VIA C3)? RRS feed

• Question

• I know it's underpowered (800MHz) for WHS as far as the recommended minimum cpu speed goes, but wondered if anyone got this barebones box to run WHS without any issues (drivers, BIOS, etc.).
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:49 AM

Answers

• okay, I finally got around to putting this little box together. this is the ASUS box that has a C3 800Mhz cpu soldered directly to the Mb. it comes as a BB system -- just add HDD, memory, and DVD drive. ended up installing WHS to a 320gb ide pata seagate using 512mb of Corsair value ram. it took it a while (1hr 25 min), but it installed WHS on the first try! Windows didn't recognize the onboard sound controller, so it didn't install any drivers for audio -  I just left it without audio since I have no speakers attached anyway.

I disabled the FDD controller in the BIOS, since I didn't install a FDD. enabled the ASUS Q-fan function in the bios and it runs pretty quiet when it's sitting there idle. haven't done any back-ups yet using the WHS console, so it may crank up a few more dB's when that occurs.

I have a 120Gb sata drive coming in a few days. I will add that as my secondary internal drive for shared file duplication using the WHS console to "add a drive". will see at that time if Windows installs sata drivers, or if I need to install them manually. all-in-all, I'm sort of surprised the install went so smoothly with this hardware!

Saturday, March 24, 2007 3:08 AM

All replies

•  well ........ looks like I'll have to be the guinea pig on this one. it's a small box that's quiet and uses very little power - perfect for the closet.

it supports 2 x sata drives as well as IDE if desired. also includes one pci slot. I plan on adding 300Gb and 120 Gb SATA drives along with 512Mb of ram. I'll post back when I get it up and running

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=1&l2=2&l3=406&model=402&modelmenu=1

Thursday, March 15, 2007 3:57 PM
  • I have a ASUS Terminator that I have been using as an IPCop/Dan's Guardian content filter for my home lan.

I just pulled that out of service to test the integrated SurfControl/parental controls in my Actiontec router supplied with Verizon FiOS.

If that works out well, I might put the Terminator back into service somehow... possibly as the WHS machine.

I'll be interested to hear your results.

Ted

Friday, March 16, 2007 1:16 PM
  • okay, I finally got around to putting this little box together. this is the ASUS box that has a C3 800Mhz cpu soldered directly to the Mb. it comes as a BB system -- just add HDD, memory, and DVD drive. ended up installing WHS to a 320gb ide pata seagate using 512mb of Corsair value ram. it took it a while (1hr 25 min), but it installed WHS on the first try! Windows didn't recognize the onboard sound controller, so it didn't install any drivers for audio -  I just left it without audio since I have no speakers attached anyway.

I disabled the FDD controller in the BIOS, since I didn't install a FDD. enabled the ASUS Q-fan function in the bios and it runs pretty quiet when it's sitting there idle. haven't done any back-ups yet using the WHS console, so it may crank up a few more dB's when that occurs.

I have a 120Gb sata drive coming in a few days. I will add that as my secondary internal drive for shared file duplication using the WHS console to "add a drive". will see at that time if Windows installs sata drivers, or if I need to install them manually. all-in-all, I'm sort of surprised the install went so smoothly with this hardware!

Saturday, March 24, 2007 3:08 AM