Does WHS 2011 Report failing hdds RRS feed

• Question

• I am thinking of giving WHS 2011 another go, I am not wanting to use RAID and all my media etc is already backed up, there is going to be 1x500gb hdd to back up 3 pcs and the server OS partion. The rest of the hdds are going to be for media if I have to have 2 sets of shares over the hdds then thats what I will do. So to my question, since I don't want to use RAID, and there is no potection really, I am wanting to know if WHS will let me know when a HDD is failing so it can be replaced? The original in V1 was crap I had 2 hdds that died without any notification, so if 2011 does notify you, is it better than V1's?
    HMG
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:53 PM

All replies

• I am thinking of giving WHS 2011 another go, I am not wanting to use RAID and all my media etc is already backed up, there is going to be 1x500gb hdd to back up 3 pcs and the server OS partion. The rest of the hdds are going to be for media if I have to have 2 sets of shares over the hdds then thats what I will do. So to my question, since I don't want to use RAID, and there is no potection really, I am wanting to know if WHS will let me know when a HDD is failing so it can be replaced? The original in V1 was crap I had 2 hdds that died without any notification, so if 2011 does notify you, is it better than V1's?
    HMG

AFAIK, no.

WHS 2011 has no built in "crash warning" regarding harddrives.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

One way could be an add-in using S.M.A.R.T. information for drive monitioring, but the only absolute rule here is "harddrives will crash".

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:23 AM
    HMG

AFAIK, no.

WHS 2011 has no built in "crash warning" regarding harddrives.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

One way could be an add-in using S.M.A.R.T. information for drive monitioring, but the only absolute rule here is "harddrives will crash".

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...

Try the free Acronis Drive Monitor. It reports S.M.A.R.T. errors and will alert via email.
    Stuart
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:25 PM