Media Library issues on Vail RRS feed

• Question

• I have the latest public preview of Vail. Everything was working fine until last week.

Since last week, on attempting media access from the remote access page shows much fewer media files than are actually present on the shared folder. Interestingly when I click on the different links ( under media) for videos or photos or songs, I am always redirected to recorded TV folder.

This seems to be a remote access only issue since DLNA devices on the intranet are able to see all the libraries fully.

I have tried several solutions listed in threads with similar problems

-restarted WMPNSS and IIS services

-Rebooted the server

-Rebuilt the libraries by removing and adding folders to the library

-changed per user media streaming options

nothing has helped so far.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Friday, September 3, 2010 2:30 PM

Answers

• Have you submitted a bug on Connect? If not, please do so.

This is a beta: bugs are important, workarounds aren't (because presumably the bug will be fixed and the workaround won't be needed). Where workarounds become useful is in a released product, to get around something that's in the product (by design or because it's not seen as a critical issue) and let you actually use it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 3, 2010 2:39 PM

All replies

• Have you submitted a bug on Connect? If not, please do so.

This is a beta: bugs are important, workarounds aren't (because presumably the bug will be fixed and the workaround won't be needed). Where workarounds become useful is in a released product, to get around something that's in the product (by design or because it's not seen as a critical issue) and let you actually use it.

Friday, September 3, 2010 2:39 PM
  • There was a relatively simple solution for me.

After some digging around I realised that under the admin account the folders that are supposed to be shared on "HOMEGROUP" were unchecked. My network does not have a homegroup. However, as I checked each of the folders - Music, Videos etc- my media library was repopulated and remote access to these files returned back to normal.

D

Saturday, September 4, 2010 11:13 PM
  • Did you bug it? Seriously, the bug reports are why Microsoft has a public beta going, and I haven't seen that behavior, so something went at least a little wrong.
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 2:49 AM
  • Ok, let's try this one:

Vail Refresh, installed without problems.

Added one of the laptops as a volunteer for the backups. No errors so far.
    Haven't tried a restore yet, but it's in the pipe, so to speak.

I use an Xbox360 to access movies and music through SMB shares; the WHS v1 show up fine in the 360´s Music and Movies folders.

Copied some files to the Vail Videos and Music folders (from the WHS v1).
    You can access the Vail folders via the 360, just like from the WHS v1.

The folders turn up empty on the 360.

Rebooted Vail a couple of time, no difference.

Some setting I've missed?

One WHS v1 machine in the basement with a mixed setup of harddrives in and outside the storage pool. And now, next to it, a Vail Refresh brother for beta duties.
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Wait. Maybe for days. Oh, and submit a bug. There are some "oddities" with indexing, streaming, and media handling in general.
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Wait. Maybe for days. Oh, and submit a bug. There are some "oddities" with indexing, streaming, and media handling in general.

Figures.

On a sidenote, the Videos has been in the folder since 08-31-2010, still don't show up...
    Music files are since yesterday.

I'll let it rest for a few more days, then file a bug report.

One WHS v1 machine in the basement with a mixed setup of harddrives in and outside the storage pool. And now, next to it, a Vail Refresh brother for beta duties.
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 4:06 PM
  • No need to wait on the bug, you've already waited longer than I do.

But have you tried removing the file from your Vail server, rebooting, putting it back on the server, and rebooting again? Shouldn't be needed, but it's worth a try.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Here's what worked for me:

Open "Computer", navigate to the Music folder, right click and add to the "Music" library.

Do the same for videos and pictures.

I'm not sure why the shares aren't automatically added to these libraries but they weren't for me.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 12:29 AM