MSDN version of Windows 7 Ultimate vs retail copy RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased five copies of Windows 7 Ultimate in a private transaction. All copies were shrink-wrapped and appeared to be regular retail copies. Each package contained the hologrammed installation disks and installation key. When I attempted to install one, it came up 'blocked by Microsoft'. After takling to a bunch of MS people, I was eventally transferred to WGA at (866)530-6599. The representive checked each key and informed me that all are MSDN versions that could not be activated.

Question: Is this true? I was surprised because they all are retail boxed versions, and I always thought that MSDN versions were downloaded. I do not think it is appropriate to invalidate all of my Windows 7 copies, as they seem to be genuine in all respects. I do not think I am going to be able to get a refund from the seller, as he says they are ok and he has never had this type of problem.

Could anyone enlighten me as to what is going on here, are the proper place to pursue this matter? Many thanks.

Monday, February 28, 2011 7:49 PM

Answers