none
Design guidlines are needed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a task of making application which will compare 2 directories (including files and subfolders) on 2 computers. I'm trying to find out if Sync framework is good for this task. Files needs to be checked based on hash value.
    1. I don't need to copy files over, just need to compare and report files missing/different etc.
    • What SyncDetectionOrder am I supposed to specify? Do I run 2 times with Download or one time UploadandDownload shall be enough
    • I undestand that I need to set PreviewMode property to True for provider. What events shall be subscribing to find out all changes which are needed to be done? I subscribed to ApplyingChange event but it seems to be missing requiring changes.
    • How can I make it work accross computers in different domains via web services or WCF call? Is it generally possible?

Thanks,
    G
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:51 PM

Answers

• Hello Lorry,

I apologize for the late reply.

So, you seem to be on the right track. If preview mode is set, application of change is skipped, and changes should be visible via OnApplyingChange event.

When you say it is missing requiring changes, what information do you exactly not have access to?

Also, with respect to doing this in remote scenario (i.e. WCF), we have sample code "sync 101 web service", which should give you some ideas on how to host the

provider in web service.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/sync/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=3421

Thanks,

Patrick

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 7:18 PM