Reading the GalContacts.db file RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to Read the GalContacts.db file?
    What program can read this type file?
    Monday, September 29, 2008 7:17 PM

Answers

• Take a look at this thread and read through the linked article; that should answer your question.

Also, only mail-enabled groups will appear in the Address Book, that might explain why some are and some aren't showing up.

Monday, September 29, 2008 9:55 PM

All replies

• You can actually open the file with Notepad or any other text viewer/editor.  The format is messy but it's structered and easy enough to locate a user by searching. The immediately following strings all belong to that contact.  Here's an example, broken up onto multiple lines.

Code Snippet

Jeff    Schertz
    Jeff Schertz
    jschertz   
    Title   
    Company Name   
    Chicago Office   
    sip:jschertz@company.com         
    tel:+13121234567    +13121234567      
    tel:+15559876543    +15559876543             
    jschertz@company.com 'Äí.Ò%K¡zÒbKÿ­‡

Monday, September 29, 2008 7:32 PM
  • Jeff,
    Thanks for the quick response.
    Does this file contain AD groups also?
    When I type in the search box, I get some groups from AD and the names.
    Monday, September 29, 2008 7:40 PM
  • Any AD objects with a configured SIP address (both users and groups) would

be replicated from AD into the OCS address book and should appear in the Galcontacts.db.  The existence of phone numbers hinges on effective normalization patterns, so sometimes you'll only see one entry instead of two for each number (the pre and post normalized strings).

Monday, September 29, 2008 8:24 PM
  • Thanks Jeff,
    But how do you configure a group with a SIP address?
    I also notice users in the GalContact.db file that where not configured for OCS (no SIP address).
    I am a little confused....
    Another funny thing, some AD groups are found while doing a search, and some do not show up.  Again, no idea why or how to resolve.
    Monday, September 29, 2008 8:35 PM
  • Take a look at this thread and read through the linked article; that should answer your question.

Also, only mail-enabled groups will appear in the Address Book, that might explain why some are and some aren't showing up.

Monday, September 29, 2008 9:55 PM