Using Existing Domain Names RRS feed

• Question

• Is it currently possible to manually setup and use an existing domain that is not on one of the "TWO" registrar providers listed in the wizard. ( I still can't believe there are only two)  I have a long term relationship with my registrar and hosting company and I just can't see any 'good' reason to switch just for my Home Server.  I know I can just create a new one through live, but again, that seems a somewhat odd choice. 

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:22 PM

All replies

• No, it's not, or at least there's no automation to support it. If you're extremely familiar with configuring IIS, the Microsoft Certificate Authority service, Remote Desktop, DNS, etc., it's probably not impossible, but for the average user the "built in" providers are all there is.

However, before you transfer your domain to one of the supported providers, you might want to search this subforum for "godaddy". You'll see that a fair number of people ahve had problems transferring domains and obtaining a certificate which they can then install correctly. As a result, I've decided to stick with the Live provider (which meets my needs perfectly well, after all :) ).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Oh well. Guess it's either dig into system and possibly break something or go with a Live domain.  No way would I move my domain to GoDaddy, just not the same level of service,

Thanks for your rapid response. 

-Greg

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:25 AM
  • I want to echo Ken's commetns on GoDaddy.  Don't get me wrong, I am a long time GoDaddy supporter, great fast reliable servers, fantastic support team but am having issues with migrating a pre-existing domain to my home server.  I have to add that part of the confusion is Home Servers Online Manual that is not clear; for example, as GoDaddy is a recommended WHS 2011 Domain Provider, is the certificate creation / installation process automated, or do I still have to manually install it through IIS 7 / MMC Certificate Consol; and slow response by GoDaddy on any automatice processes.  Actually it is that very topic that dragged me to the Forums this evening. 

Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:00 AM