Using a different XP Installation CD RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to use any other XP Installation CD with the Product key I have on the side of my computer, I am a technician for a company that sells and installs Closed Circuit Television and a customer's Digital Video Recorder stopped working but he cannot find his original XP CD that came with the recorder.  I have multiple copies of XP Professional (the same system that came on the recorder) but it will not let me enter the original Product key... Is there any way to make it work?
    Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:11 PM

Answers

• Brian,

When dealing with computers that came from their manufacturer with XP preinstalled, the ideal method is to reinstall XP using the manufacturer's provided reinstallation/recovery solution.

In some cases this can be painful because the recovery solution is a hard disk image-based solution that destroys user data.  The pain of course comes from either (a) losing the data or (b) the perceived "hassle" of backing up the data, although computer professionals know that data that's not backed up is already lost.

Using other methods, such as installing pirated/cracked copies of XP to take the place of the one that came with the computer, was never a good idea, and now with stepped up WGA enforcement, that's turning out to be a very bad idea.  Many posters in this forum are having problems because of tecnicians using unauthorized bench copies of XP for reinstallation.

BTW, not having any experience in your business, I did not know that video recorders came with XP operating systems.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:37 PM