none
Where to get employee directory for application access? RRS feed

• Question

• I am non IT professional, but do build small applications for my own team too.

I am not sure how to ask the question, but I will try to make my question as clearly as possible.

Let us say: I want to build an application, and I design two text-boxes: Username & Password. Then I use below code to test a database created by IT department, in order to verify the user. It somehow works, but the method is silly.

Basically, I am assuming that the database is open to all employees. It could be true, it could be false. I have no ideas how IT department sets up each database. 

Now if I build an application for organization-wide use, and I will create an Access file as back end for this application. Now I don't feel comfortable to use below code to verify an user. I am not sure if the database sampletest (in below code) is open to organization-wide employees or only some employees.

My question: for most organizations, how does IT department manage employee directory? As an non-IT employee, how can I access employee directory? If there is something only opening to IT employees, then I can still use below code to build application, just assuming the database is open to organization-wide employees. It is silly to test irrelevant database, in order to verify an user.

GlobalVariables.ConnectionString = "Driver={Adaptive Server Enterprise};server=sample;port=12345;db=sampletest;uid=" + txtUsername.Text + ";pwd=" + txtPassword.Text + ";";

Cn = new OdbcConnection(GlobalVariables.ConnectionString);
    bool SuccessfulConnection = false;

try
    {
         Cn.Open();
         SuccessfulConnection = true;                
    }

catch
    {
          MessageBox.Show("Connection failed. Invalid Username/Password.", "Error Message");
    }

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 8:47 PM

All replies

• Hi VA_er,
    This forum is discussing and asking questions about the Windows Forms. 
    About your question, it is recommend to connect IT department.
    Thank for your understanding.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 1:28 AM