New to IT, Where do I start? RRS feed

• Question

• So I've been looking at Microsoft Certifications for a long time and now I see that they are changing again. I decided almost 6 months ago that at some point i was going to acquire a few MTA's than move on too more in depth type stuff(MCITP and such) I just cannot seem to find a way to study for them to where as they used to have the PDF guides. I just recently acquired my A+ and I actually have no formal schooling, but on site retail IT experience (3 years), and now i've just recently got hired at a local healthcare center as part of their IT dept. I can consider myself pretty green too IT in general so i'm really looking to figure out where to start?

Thanks guys and gals for any suggestions or help!

Mike

Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:00 PM

Answers

• What desktop OS does your employer use?

Since you've already landed an IT job I would suggest taking the 70-680 (Windows 7) exam. It's good start to becoming an MCP and one of the easier exams IMO compared to server certification (which would be the MCITP or MCSE / MCSA).

Once you have your Windows 7 certification see where you are at career wise and where you want to be. Then tailor your certification path to that (IE CCNA / Net+ if you want to do networking, MCITP if you like server, ect).

• Proposed as answer by sadi_76 Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:16 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by sadi_76 Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by CoolMike90 Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:16 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:09 PM

All replies

• What desktop OS does your employer use?

Since you've already landed an IT job I would suggest taking the 70-680 (Windows 7) exam. It's good start to becoming an MCP and one of the easier exams IMO compared to server certification (which would be the MCITP or MCSE / MCSA).

Once you have your Windows 7 certification see where you are at career wise and where you want to be. Then tailor your certification path to that (IE CCNA / Net+ if you want to do networking, MCITP if you like server, ect).

• Proposed as answer by sadi_76 Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:16 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by sadi_76 Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by CoolMike90 Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:16 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Hey Tera thanks for the response.

I was told by two others too start there also since apparently MTA's are going away and MCITP is pretty much the new starting point. That's exactly where i'm going to start. More than likely i'd like to get into setting up servers and managing them and so fourth so I will probably first acquire the 70-680 and 70-685.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:15 PM