Getting into the Morro Beta - when? where? how? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Stephen,

I very much want to be included in the initial beta of Morro.  Is there any queue developing?  What strategy do you recommend?  Will you post a link or any other breaking news of it once it is put out to be downloaded?  I understand it is a very limited release.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 1:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• The beta will be a public beta. There is no queue, though news reports indicate that it will be limited to about 75,000 users. I'm not sure if that's true or not. The beta will go live tomorrow, Tuesday the 23rd. When it is live, I'll update the announcements here.

Apparently, the official gateway will be from here: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials (not live yet)

More details here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3120

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, June 22, 2009 1:53 PM
  • I'd prefer to leave this unanswered until you actually can provide the valid working links albeit tomorrow.

Although I've read ZDnet's article yesterday, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if Microsoft would create a single news source internally that professionals/Partners such as  myself can go to get the news first and firsthand.  What's going on now is helter skelter.  Where will it show up?  Why should I have to use a ____ site or bit torrent to get the code?  Both of these are bad IMHO and Microsoft needs to clamp down on whoever is releasing the code prematurely.  *rant over*

Stephen - Thanks for your timely response.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 1:58 PM
  • BTW I also went into Technet and Connect without any information clearly available - why isn't there at least a bread crumb in these locations?
    Monday, June 22, 2009 1:59 PM
  • We use the answered attribute to monitor new activity in the forums.
    The download will be via Connect. I can assure you of that. And, the link provided by news sites for the MSE site that is not yet live will probably be the correct information page.

You should not need to go to external sources to get the beta. It will be available from Microsoft officially.

-steve
    Monday, June 22, 2009 2:00 PM
  • And, before I lock the thread, I'll add that I will do my best to have a post in the announcement section at the top of the General OneCare forum (this one) as soon as the beta is released. -steve
    Monday, June 22, 2009 2:02 PM
  • BTW I also went into Technet and Connect without any information clearly available - why isn't there at least a bread crumb in these locations?

Because it is not yet released.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 2:03 PM
  • How can you have a full discussion when the thread gets locked? - questions still left unanswered and you won't respect the thread author using the tools to convey this to you then you lock it ...amazing

Steven I appreciate what you are attempting to do but it isn't satisfying to be given the hand in the face.  My questions as a Partner are legitimate.  My comment on the breadcrumb was not answered satisfactorily and now I've no recource to continue the discussion.  I'm not going to spend more time on this as I have productive work that needs doing.

I would like to request the announcement or the Morro Beta's release to be in a thread that I can set up an alert on so I am immediately notified.  Being that it may be a limited beta, timing is critical.  Can you facilitate this please?
    Monday, June 22, 2009 2:10 PM
  • If you have concerns about the availbility of information to you as a partner, I recommend that you convey those concerns to the partner program contact. (I am not a partner, nor do I know the contact information...)

I agree that it is a pain to not have detailed information in advance.

I do not control the information flow, Microsoft does. They apparently believe that having no information in advnace of the release is a good strategy. The leaks last week were unexpected, too. I believe that the desire was to come out with a big splash tomorrow when the beta was opened up. There may be loads of information posted to multiple places when that happens. However, i don't know that. All I can control is what gets posted here.

Send me an email - sboots@mvps.org and reference this thread.
    -steve

Monday, June 22, 2009 2:18 PM

• I would like to request the announcement or the Morro Beta's release to be in a thread that I can set up an alert on so I am immediately notified.  Being that it may be a limited beta, timing is critical.  Can you facilitate this please?

Click on this post - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/012289d8-50ac-4979-aa58-622d209bd6fa
    Click on Alert Me on that post and you will be subscribed for changes to that post.
    -steve
    Monday, June 22, 2009 2:21 PM
  • no such "alert me" option there on that thread - since its a closed thread
    Monday, June 22, 2009 5:09 PM
  • I signed up for an Alert Me on that post... after I signed in to the forum of course.
    Regards, Dave
    Monday, June 22, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Of course, that's assuming that alerts work. They can be spotty.

Several sources are reporting that the beta is due to go live at about 9 am PDT tomorrow. I have not seen anything official to that effect, but it seems reasonable.

-steve
    Monday, June 22, 2009 5:35 PM
  • If the alerts on the pinned post don't work, this is to notify you that the beta of MSE is now live.
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/012289d8-50ac-4979-aa58-622d209bd6fa

-steve
    • Marked as answer by Dale DU-IT Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:45 PM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:17 PM