Server Update Services RRS feed

• Question

• Can I use WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) with Home Server 2011 to download all Office and Windows 7 updates to the server and then have individual clients get thir updates from the server instead of each one going to the internet?

Thanks

Phil Evans

Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:47 PM

All replies

• No. Or at least it's not supported, there's no documentation on how to do so, and it's likely to be a violation of the EULA (which prohibits "line of business" applications on your server other than those that Microsoft included).

In any case, managing WSUS isn't as simple as I think you're imagining. And clients that are getting updates from a WSUS server will only get them from WSUS, even if (for example) it's a laptop that's hardly ever connected to your home network.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 29, 2011 12:17 AM
  • Ken

Thanks for your quick reply. I've seen somewhere that WHS2011 is Server 2008 R2 in disguise so I thought it might be possible to use WSUS. In my working life (I am now retired) we used WSUS at my office and now that I have three computers at home with a laptop I take on vacation (all non-commercial use), it seemed a good way to avoid having to download the often very large monthly updates to the OSes and Office (Home and student edition) software for each of the computers. I will add that I live in an area of the world (an island in the Pacific) where the sole ISP thinks 256KB/sec is broadband and I'd be willing to pay $100/month for a cap of 4.5GB. Right now If I installed the updates to Office and Win 7 that Microsoft is suggesting I do for each of the household machines, then I would use up over 1GB of my monthly allowance.

Phil Evans

Phil
    Friday, July 29, 2011 1:29 AM