WHS power state question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all.  I have just received my WHS evaluation copy discs in the mail, and after a few weeks of reading through the forums, I think I'm nearly ready to build my server.

My question is this:

Does WHS support sleep and hibernate states, or does it need to run 24/7?  I ask because I plan on putting my server out in my garage where it can get pretty toasty come summertime.  I have a 45 watt CPU, two 750GB GREEN WD harddrives, and an 80+ PSU for the server HW, but I'm just wondering whether or not this is possible to do.  If not, should I put the server on a UPS/power conditioner?  Thank you all for your support and information!
    Friday, February 27, 2009 11:56 PM

Answers

• WHS itself does not sleep or hibernate unless you tell it to. There is a good addon if you want to schedule such sleep time, its Lights Out I believe
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, March 1, 2009 5:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cmnore Monday, March 2, 2009 10:00 PM
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 2:41 AM

All replies

• WHS itself does not sleep or hibernate unless you tell it to. There is a good addon if you want to schedule such sleep time, its Lights Out I believe
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, March 1, 2009 5:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cmnore Monday, March 2, 2009 10:00 PM
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 2:41 AM
  • I'll warn you that your garage likely gets too warm for your server, just in general. For the most part, computers that have an operating temperature range specified usually top out at around 35-40° C (95-104° F). It's likely that your garage exceeds that at least sometimes unless it's air-conditioned.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 5:21 PM
  • To expand on what Ken said:
    Heat isn't the only issue; humidity also takes its toll on electronics in general, PC parts in particular.
    Extreme cold also is bad.
    Myself, I would never put any of my boxen in the garage.  Here in Detroit, with summertime highs sometimes hitting (or, even, slightly exceeding) 100' F with near (if not actually hitting) 100% humidity; but wintertime lows dipping to sometimes -15 - that's not the friendliest enviroment.
    The basement is far better for them - consistently cool (around 65-70' F year-round.)
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 10:57 PM
  • Thanks guys.

I live in Idaho, where the temp extremes vary from about 30F (winter nights) to 100F (summer days) in my garage.  If I can put the computer to sleep during the hottest hours (days), I think I can avoid any hardware troubles - especially with the hardware I've chosen to use.  Thoughts?

I'll look around for the 'Lights Out' add-in.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 8:33 PM
  • The winter temperatures are also probably too low in Idaho. Especially if you're anywhere near the northern tip of the state... As for the summer temperatures, your garage will lag behind the hottest part of the day, which is typically mid-afternoon. And during a heat wave temperatures may remain out of spec for days at a time. I really would recommend keeping your server in your house. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 2, 2009 10:36 PM
  • Winter temps aren't too bad here in Boise, especially in the fully insulated garage.  I figure by 10 to 12:00 PM I can 'wake-up' the server during the summer, and not fry anything. 

The Lights Out add-in looks like it should do the trick(as long as there is multi-language support)!
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 12:47 AM