Issues with tables pasted from Excel RRS feed

• Question

• First of all, I just wanted to say thanks for your work on this great program.  It really is much better than any other program I've found for blogging.

That said, my site contains a number of tables that I update regularly by doing a "paste special -- keep formatting" from an Excel spreadsheet.  I then select "table properties" and set it to show borders.  Unfortunately, this method produces a completely different looking table than if you select "Insert table..." and do everything from within the program.  Worse, the table that's created shows up okay in IE7, but not at all correctly in Firefox or Safari.  I discovered some time ago that if I went into the html view I could edit out the "border-collapse:" text in the table description html and it would fix the problem.

I just tried the latest preview and the issue remains, so I am posting here in the hopes this can be easily corrected.  I've been making do with the manual editing, but I have quite a few tables that get updated at least once a week, and its slow and arduous to have to keep doing this to every table every time.

Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I just tried out this scenario using Excel 2007 (not sure what version of Excel you are using?) If I use Keep Formatting then apply table border it does look different, but that seems expected since you are keeping the table formatting from Excel, which is different from what is the default in Writer. If you want the Writer formatting you can paste normally, which will retain the table but not any of the table or cell formatting.

I didn't try this in Safari, but I tried it in Firefox and the table does look different but not at all bad. The border, formatting, and everything else is fine, it just looks slightly different than it does in IE. What does your tables look like in Firefox or Safari? Is it completely hosed?

Thanks,
    Flora

• Marked as answer by Becky Pezely Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:50 PM
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I just tried out this scenario using Excel 2007 (not sure what version of Excel you are using?) If I use Keep Formatting then apply table border it does look different, but that seems expected since you are keeping the table formatting from Excel, which is different from what is the default in Writer. If you want the Writer formatting you can paste normally, which will retain the table but not any of the table or cell formatting.

I didn't try this in Safari, but I tried it in Firefox and the table does look different but not at all bad. The border, formatting, and everything else is fine, it just looks slightly different than it does in IE. What does your tables look like in Firefox or Safari? Is it completely hosed?

Thanks,
    Flora

• Marked as answer by Becky Pezely Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:50 PM
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:07 AM
  • Thanks Flora for your response.

I am also using Excel 2007 and the latest beta of Live Writer.  The simple "paste" operation does seem to work much better than it used to.  I hadn't tried it recently, but I always used "paste -- keep formatting" as previously just using paste would just create an obscenely long line of text, as opposed to any form of a table.  Now, it keeps the table, and even hyperlinks, which is great! 

As far as my tables, the problems with the tables (if I use "paste -- keep formatting" and don't manually change it) are two-fold: there's no consistency between browsers at all, and every non-IE browser I've tested ends up with the left border completely cut off when the post is actually posted to Blogger, which looks terrible.

My "solution" of manually editing seems to work across all browsers (though the code is undoubtedly a mess to anyone with a better understanding of html than myself), and keeps the Excel cell widths (which a simple paste does not), so I can continue doing this, but just as a suggestion, the idea of "keep Excel formatting" is great, but it seems like it should be uniformly renderable across all browsers.

Thanks again, and great product.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 12:45 AM