Updating fields in Many to many relationships RRS feed

• Question

• I have a table called Sales Manager Activity and a many to many relationship with a lookup table called Countries Exporting to. 

I open up my Sales Manager table and populate the countries from a look-up for a number of pre-prepared Countries that the sales managers sell to.  

Onve, I've populated the countries in that Sales Mananager's record, I then want to update other fields in the Country table with the sales value of that manager, but if I do that, this changes all the values in the original look-up - perhaps due to the many to many relationship.

How can I add in the Countries that Sales Manager sells to and then update the sales value, without it repopulating the field in the look-up and keep the data unique to the Sales Manager?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

JIm

Friday, March 27, 2009 4:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You would need to organize it with a "data entry" element in between.

I.e. Create an entity that conects Sales Manager with Country table. For this new entity you can add fields that gives the relationship more context.

That should solve your problem.

This was also the way we solved M:M relationships in 3.0, before the new M:M capabilities came in 4.0

Morten
    • Marked as answer by Jimbo64 Friday, March 27, 2009 5:29 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 4:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You would need to organize it with a "data entry" element in between.

I.e. Create an entity that conects Sales Manager with Country table. For this new entity you can add fields that gives the relationship more context.

That should solve your problem.

This was also the way we solved M:M relationships in 3.0, before the new M:M capabilities came in 4.0

Morten
    • Marked as answer by Jimbo64 Friday, March 27, 2009 5:29 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 4:56 PM
  • Firstly, thanks for the quick reply and solution. 

I think I understand what you mean, but will this mean that as I add in country, I will access the sales field through clicking on the Details side bar on the form which will open up the respective related sub-form. 

I think this is the right (and probably only) solution, but it does add extra clicks for the user.

My ideal would be I populate the countries, click on the country record in grid rows and fill in the details on that form, but the solution proposed I think means I clcik on Country, then click on the Details tab and then input the information. 

Thanks again
    Jimbo
    Friday, March 27, 2009 5:28 PM
  • You're absolutely right. Like adding a product to an opportunity.

The other problem is that when you want to connect a Sales Manager to a Country you are not really "adding an existing country" (which would be the way CRM 4.0 M:M model presents it) but you will "Add a new xxxy" entity, where xxxy is the new intersection entity.

Kind of confusing, unless you do smart renaming and labeling etc.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 10:48 PM