Deleting zip files incremental vs complete? RRS feed

• Question

• So my backup drive is full. I know how to delete the backup files. But I don't know where the incremental backup files end and which files are part of a complete backup. My backup files sorted by date modified start at Part 1 thru Part xxx with "do not delete ses" files at intervals. Can I delete zips 1 to 50 w/o screwing up the restore function? Or can I delete files older than the "do not delete" and restore from there forward if necessary.
    Thanks
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:59 PM

Answers

• If your backup destination is full and you can't free up space from other data outside of the backup folder, you will need to delete *all* of the backup data and start fresh with a new, full backup. There is no maintenance feature for backup, so clearing it out and starting fresh is the only way to deal with the space issue. Manually deleting some of the files could certainly render the entire backup useless.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, March 27, 2009 2:34 PM

All replies

• If your backup destination is full and you can't free up space from other data outside of the backup folder, you will need to delete *all* of the backup data and start fresh with a new, full backup. There is no maintenance feature for backup, so clearing it out and starting fresh is the only way to deal with the space issue. Manually deleting some of the files could certainly render the entire backup useless.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, March 27, 2009 2:34 PM
  • Thanks steve
    Friday, March 27, 2009 4:36 PM