15 more contacts in CRM Online than Outlook - How do I identify them? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the online version of Microsoft Dynamics CRM with the plugin for Outlook.

I have 15 more contacts in CRM than I have in Outlook. How do I identify these and make them synch?

• I have 2,641 contacts in CRM
    • I have 2,626 in Outlook

How can I filter to find the 15 missing ones and why are they not synching?

What I have done so far: I deleted all contacts from Outlook and cleared my Blackberry. Then I synched CRM from the Outlook/File/CRM/Synchronize command, but I am still missing 15 contacts. That means they are not in my Blackberry, also.

I need to find them and get them into Outlook and synching properly.

Thanks!

John Collins

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:30 PM

Answers

• If you delete an Outlook Contact record that was synching with CRM Online, that record will remain in CRM Online, but it will never resynch with Outlook even if you restore the Outlook Contact from the Deleted Items folder. A little flag of some sort is created for that Outlook Contact so it won't be synched again from CRM Online, as Adam Vero has pointed out. There MAY be a simpler way to get rid of that flag, but I don't know what it would be. So, if you inadvertently delete an Outlook Contact record and want it to synch again, I recommend the following.

NOTE: Once you have deleted an Outlook Contact record, do not restore it AND do this procedure or you'll have two Outlook Contact records. Also, uninstalling and reinstalling the CRM Client is unecessary. Please do not fiddle with the filters, that, too is unecessary. These are for users of CRM Online, I don't know if it is different from the server version.

Step 1:  Close Outlook

Step 2:  Go to the Start button, go to All Programs, find Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011, open that folder and click on the Configuration Wizard.

Step 3:   Delete the organization you are synching with.

Step 4:   Go to Windows Explorer and delete the MSCRM folders from both the local and roaming profile as per Donna's excellent instructions.

Step 5:   Now go back to the Configuration Wizard and add back the CRM Online organization you want to synch with. This should result in getting all your contacts.

What I do not know is if this will give you Outlook Contact doubles or just "fill in" the ones that had stopped synching, but I'm not going to find out. What I did to make sure I had no dupes and was completely in synch was to export all my contacts to a .pst file as a backup. Then I deleted all my Outlook Contacts. Then I reconfigured the organization (after also blasting out the two MSCRM folders). I now am in perfect synch with exactly the same numbers of CRM Online Contacts and Outlook Contacts.

Thanks again, everyone!

Friday, July 13, 2012 9:47 PM

All replies

• The slow way would be to export your contacts from Outlook and export your contacts from Excel and then use VLOOKUP or eyeball the two lists to work out where the gaps are. Is it possible you are not the owner of the missing 15 and this is why they are not coming down?

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog 
    http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ 
    or hear me tweet http://www.twitter.com/leontribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe

• Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:20 PM
  • Thanks.

No, I am definitely the owner of the one contact I know is missing in Outlook. So even if I can identify them (good suggestion, by the way), I still do not know how to force the export from CRM to the Outlook Contacts.

Any ideas on that?

Thanks again!

John

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 4:08 PM
  • I would adjust the contact sync rules in the user options and see if this makes a difference. Could it be that the contacts in question are disabled?

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog 
    http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ 
    or hear me tweet http://www.twitter.com/leontribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe

• Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:59 PM
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:59 PM
  • My contact synch rules have not changed since I got the program a year ago. I know because I don't know how to find them. I don't fiddle with it, as you can see. I'm a single user and have just used it pretty much "out of the box". Since over 2600 other contacts are synching fine, I think I don't need to know how to check this anyway.

How would I check to see if a particular contact was 'disabled'? I could inadvertently messed that up, perhaps by accidentally deleting them from Outlook Contacts (what I suspect happened), which may have broken the synch for those. Would you mind zeroing in on how to check just the contacts in question for me, rather than global stuff? I appreciate the help. very much, but clearly global settings are not the issue here, and I fear to tread there.

Thanks!

John

Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:28 PM
  • check in outlookfilter for outlookcontacts if the contacttype is set for all types

gruss Daniel Ovadia MBSS - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MCNPS

Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:34 PM
  • I am really sorry, folks, I know you are trying to help me, but this ...

"check in outlookfilter for outlookcontacts if the contacttype is set for all types"

May well be the answer, but I have no idea how to do it. I don't know if you are even doing that from the Outlook File/CRM area or on the CRM Online program in the browser.

If you can I need you to "move my fingers". E.G.

"Go to CRM in your Internet Browser. Click on Settings then click on ...

You get the idea? I am not a database admin type. I'm a sales guy who uses CRM Online out of the box and I have 15 out of 2,641 contacts in there that are not showing up in my Outlook Contacts folder. I literally do not understand the suggestions you are making. I need a "press this, press that, then tell me what you see." kind of help.

I know it's a PITA for you, and I would not blame you for not bothering. The frustrating thing is this MUST be an easy fix. The program is not arbitrary.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:35 PM
  • which Version of Windows?

which Version of Office?

Did u installed Rollup8 for crm2011 on ure client machine?

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Windows 7

Office 2010

And I would bet I have not installed Rollup8 for crm2011 on my client machine because I would not know how to do it.

I sound helpless, don't I? :(

Thanks for your patience!

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:46 PM
  • first install rollup 8. go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29692

choose ure language, if english it is for 64bit system: CRM2011-Client-KB2600644-ENU-amd64.exe and for 32bitsystem: CRM2011-Client-KB2600644-ENU-i386.exe

if u have problems to install the rollup8, then first check ure windows updates, if u done all.

ok, now check ure outlook filter settings are correct.

In outlook 2010 go FILE (left corner up), press crm, now on the right side is open a crm option menu, click the small arrow under syncronization, and press outlook filter.

there are some filters, search the filter called like outlook-contacts, userfilter not systemfilters - should be already the default tab that is open now.

there u can add a field called contacttype, then select there all the types.Play with the filter and check if u are able to get the missing contacts.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:55 PM
  • You, sir, are a wonderful human being! I will do this and report back.

THANK YOU!

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:56 PM
  • You´re welcome. And don´t foget to make a manuell syncronize job after u played with the filter and saved. U can make the manuell sync in outlook ribbon under crm

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Wow! I was behind, I need Rollup 6 first. This will take a while.
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:31 PM
  • OK, Rollups went just fine. I found these two screens per your excellent directions, Daniel. I suspect what you are talking about is in the bottomw image. I am not sure what to do next. Am in the right spot?

Thanks so much for your patience.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Hi John,

choose the "My Outlook Contacts" Filter, there delete the line owner. save and try to syncronize manually, check if u get the missing contacts.

when not solved, go again to the filter. leave the line for status and below press selct and search there for contacttype, and slect all contacttype, sync again and check.

when not solved, go again to the contact filter. delete the line contacttype and press again select, select status equals inactive, and sync agin.

are now all contact there?

if not, please create for testing only a new outlook profile.

to do this go in windows system, press email, create a new profile, fill in manuall email adress, insert fakedata, press next next...

configure crm for outlook again for this profile and make a initial sync and check if there all contacts.

• Proposed as answer by Daniel Ovadia Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by john_oberweis Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:48 PM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 8:54 AM
  • Daniel,

Thank you so much for your patient help. I did the first step, deleting the line for owner.

I do not see an item called "contacttype" anywhere in that filter.

Unfortunately, I am leaving the office for a week and will be working only online, no Outlook client. I wanted you to know I am grateful AND I will come back to this, but it will not be until June 11 or after. Don't think I have forgotten you!

Thank you again for your help.

John

Friday, June 1, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Daniel,

I was just looking at this now. I have completed all steps up to and including this one.

"when not solved, go again to the contact filter. delete the line contacttype and press again select, select status equals inactive, and sync agin."

I will try the new Outlook Profile next. This is so frustrating. I am the owner of all contacts. I checked and found there are 2,857 contacts in CRM Online, and 2,843 contacts in Outlook, so I have 14 that are not populating in my Outlook Contacts. Very frustrating.

I will report back on the synch with the new profile.

Cheers,

John

Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Daniel,

My IT guy here feels this is just casting about, plus I can't create a new profile for Outlook without creating something on our Exchange server. Thank you Daniel, for your help so far. I am not knowledgeable enough to know, but I do agree with him ...

There is some field or switch CRM is using to keep these 14 contacts from populating my Outlook Contacts. Does anyone know what that might be?

I am no longer looking for filter settings -- I am looking to open those 14 contacts and change whatever field has changed that is preventing them from being forced into Outlook Contacts. In other words instead of fiddling with the filters, I want to now directly attack whatever is in these 14 contacts that is being filtered and change that. Make sense?

Any ideas? Thank you!

John

Thursday, July 5, 2012 4:03 PM
  • John,

For your issue would recommend to backup all your outlook contacts to pst file via outlook import-export assistent.

Close outlook then delete the crm-outlook configuration via crm config wizard- start/programms/crm/configwizard.

after then press windows logo on your keyboard +r to open "run" and type in %appdata% press enter, then u are directly in appdata/roaming  there go to folder microsfot and then delete the Folder MSCRM, go the folders back untill appdata and there go appdata/local  there go folder microsfot and then delete the Folder MSCRM

Then open Outlook and delete all your contacts in outlook, because u already did in the step before a backup of them. Then delte in your outlook folder delted items again the deleted contacts, wait untill exchange syncronized everything to make sure u will not get them back.

Then close outlook and go start/programms/crm/configwizard and configure again the organization.

then make a synconization and hopefully all contacts coming down, if not first thing i recommend is to try that action on a fresh clientmachine, when there it fail i would open a case

• Proposed as answer by Daniel Ovadia Friday, July 6, 2012 9:04 AM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 5:56 PM
  • Thank you, Daniel, I will give that a try!

Cheers,

John

Thursday, July 5, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Is it possible that the Contacts that are not syncing are Inactive Contacts in CRM?  You should keep the filter Owner = Current User.  If you don't, all Active Contacts will sync from CRM to Outlook.  I would look at the few Contacts that are not syncing and see if you can see something different about those contacts.

One other option is to create a new outlook folder and temporarily move the Contacts that are synced with CRM to that folder.  The contacts that are synced will have a CRM icon so it should be easy to identify them.  Once you've moved the CRM synced Contacts only, run the Sync command.  When you run the sync command, you can view the details to see if any Contacts are failing.

One final option, that is fairly easy to do is completely uninstall the CRM Outlook client.  See my article on unistalling the Outlook client and follow the steps.  Once uninstalled, you can reinstall.  However, I don't think this step is needed.  I think there is something different about those few Contacts in CRM that are preventing them from syncing and I suspect if you view the details when you select the Sync button you might see some failures.

Regards, Donna

Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:50 PM
  • I could inadvertently messed that up, perhaps by accidentally deleting them from Outlook Contacts (what I suspect happened), which may have broken the synch for those.

This was my first thought - if you are the owner of a Contact and you delete it in Outlook it does not delete it from CRM but it does remember that you deleted it, so it does not keep coming back and annoying you ("I deleted this darned Contact yesterday and now it's back!!"). This is controlled by the local database which is used to record which records have been changed in between synchronisations.

You could close Outlook, run the configuration wizard, make a note of the current URL, then delete this and re-add it. That might re-set the database. Some step-by-step instructions on using the config wizard here on Donna's blog:

http://edwardsdna.wordpress.com/tag/crm-outlook-client-configuration-wizard/

Donna's suggestion in this thread to remove and re-install is probably the next thing to try if the config wizard delete/re-add does not do the job.

Hope this helps. Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011

Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:14 PM
  • Adam and Donna, I think you are probably right. Yes they are active contacts, if they were not I would not see them in CRM, right? All contacts are mine. I think I inadvertently deleted them, then put them back and what Adam is suggesting is correct.

Anyway, I am going to go the full uninstall, reinstall route, it's the cleanest solution and I can quit mucking around with this problem. I will report back shortly!

Thanks to all!

Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:52 PM
  • You can see Inactive Contacts in CRM.  It depends on the view.  You can see the filter criteria applied to each view by opening the view in CRM and then select the Advanced Find button from the ribbon.  CRM knows which view you are on and will open it and show you the filter criteria applied to that view. 

It really sounds to me like you and your team would benefit from some basic CRM training.  You might want to consider contacting your CRM Partner and see about scheduling CRM training.

I hope this works out for you.

Regards, Donna

Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:11 PM
  • @Adam Vero

I think you get this. I believe when you delete an Outlook Contact, some switch is set somewhere which prevents CRM Online from repopulating it. That has been my suspicion all the while. While I appreciate the other offered help this has never been about Outlook Filters or anything else. I have never touched the Outlook filters, so there is no way they could have been changed in those few records. Until this thread I had never touched them.

So what did I do? I deleted all Outlook Contacts! Now I am really up the creek. The reason I did that is once while dealing with tech support from India they had me reconfigure this and it doubled all my Outlook contacts!

WHAT I NEED TO KNOW:

I need to know how to FORCE a repopulation of Outlook Contacts from the CRM Online server. My Outlook Contacts folder is completely empty.

WHAT I DID SO FAR:

I uninstalled the Outlook CRM client per Donna's excellent instructions.

I exported my entire Outlook Contacts folder to a .pst file on my desktop as backup.

I deleted every Contact in Outlook, it is empty.

I downloaded The CRM Outlook Client from Microsoft: version 5.0.9690.1992. I installed it again.

I configured our CRM Organization, and some calendar items and email synched ... but no contacts.

WHAT OUTLOOK CONTACT FILTERS ARE IN PLACE?:

Status = Active

Status = Inactive

Now I just got a message that Outlook had a 'serious problem' with the CRM client and wanted to disable it. I seem to recall I may need to apply some updates to the CRM Clinet I just downloaded, but I don't remember. We do not have CRM Server here. We only use the online version.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:54 PM
  • I think you need to do these steps:

Uninstall the CRM Outlook client

Open Windows Explorer and go to c:\users\<john>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\

(where "John" is your user account logon name. If you can't see AppData, press Alt and go to Tools > Folder Options > View and select "Show hidden files, folders and drives")

Delete the folder "MSCRM" (you probably want to make a backup copy just in case). This contains the local cache database which I am pretty sure is where it remembers the deletions (I just had a check and there are tables in the SQL Compact Database in there with a column for "deleted" which seem to back this up)

Install the CRM client, ideally with Update Rollup 6 already rolled in (you can download this all-in-one from here:
     CRM 2011 Outlook client with Update Rollup 6 already included

It would be sensible to also install update rollup 8 which you can get from here (you want the file called CRM2011-Client-KB2600644-ENU-i386.exe):http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29692

Run the Configuration Wizard and give it your URL.

Cross your fingers and wait for things to synchronise

Hope this helps. Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011

Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:00 PM
  • If you didn't get any contacts on the sync, I suspect it is because you didn't delete the MSCRM folders in the Local and Roaming profile.  That is an important step in the process.  You don't have to delete your Contacts from Outlook, you just have to delete the MSCRM folders but only delete those folders after you uninstall the Outlook Client.  If you delete them first you will have problems.

There are two folders to delete, after you uninstall the Outlook Client.  The blog article tells you the exact steps to take.  If you miss or shortcut steps, you will most likely not get the expected result. 

I would expect that the latest CRM Outlook Client download to have UR 8 included.  If not, take the step Adam recommends to get it.

Regards, Donna

Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:04 PM
  • Donna, I appreciate your volunteering to help, I know this is strictly out of the goodness of your heart, and I'm grateful for the effort, but you are starting to sound a little condescending. I'm not an IT professional, but I've been maintaining CRM databases for small businesses in the course of my work for 20 years. I know how active an inactive contacts show up. And I DID delete both those folders -- as a matter of fact, TWICE. I uninstalled the CRM Client twice, following your very clear instructions o the letter both times. I even uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft Office, thinking that might help, but I did not have the presence of mind to look for the app data folders I should have deleted in Outlook, so that may have had no effect.

At any rate, I'm not a sequel database expert or anything, but I have done a fair amount of customization, importing, exporting, and otherwise using this CRM program pretty well. It is precisely because this issue is not addressed in the rather large CRM book I have, nor can I find this issue in a Google search that I posted here. You are making assumptions about what I do not know which are incorrect, please stop telling me to get training and admonishing me for not following your checklist.

I apologize for sounding testy here, I really do, but I now have an empty Outlook Contact folder which is a disaster. What I DO know is this:

1. Clearly, when one deletes an Outlook Contact record that has been synching with CRM, something happens somewhere to turn off synchronization with that record in the future. It is directly related to the deletion of the Outlook Contact record. Of this there can be no doubt.
    2. Clearly (again I do appreciate the volunteering aspect of this) none of you know what that might be, and therefore you are suggesting solutions you think might work.
    3. In the many CRM programs, and sometimes separate synchronization programs I have worked with over the years, because two databases often get out of synch, there is ALWAYS a function which can force repopulation from one to the other. The user is able to decide which direction that would be, in this case either from Outlook to CRM Online, or what I want, the other way around. This is kind of an architectural principal of keeping two databases in synch, there has to be a function like this, or there has to be some folder, perhaps in Outlook, I can delete to eliminate whatever flag is created when an Outlook Contact is deleted.

What amazes me is I'm not the first person to accicentally delete an Outlook Contact, I cannot figure out why this issue is not very well known. I admit to being perplexed by that. I put in a support request, and got a response from someone in India who will try to help me tomorrow. In the meantime, I have done everything suggested in the thread so far with the exception of creating another Outlook account, which I won't do, I should not have to. And it still would not solve my problem because I have MY account on our Exchange Server and I need to get these contacts back into my account's Contact Folder.

Thank you all for your attempted assistance so far, I do appreciate the effort. All I am interested in hearing at this point, however, is "Hey, yeah, I know what that is, I've seen it before! When you delete an Outlook Contact record here's what happens, and here is how you clear it ..." or "I have no idea what caused your problem, but you are right, CRM Online can be forced to override Outlook and forcibly repopulate your Contacts Folder and resume synching. Normally, this would cause duplicates, but since you've blown your contacts out, no problem with that. You do this, that, and the other thing ...."

No more guessing. Thanks! The other thing we now know, beyond the shadow of a doubt, is this flag does not live in the "MSCRM" folder. I have eliminated that possibility entirely by deleting both of them not once, but twice today. It is somewhere else. I do not know where, but I know where it is not. And it is not in the "MSCRM" folder.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:30 PM
  • Donna, as far as I know the client download is only ever republished as a "slipstreamed" version when there is a new UR baseline. In other words, right now UR6 is required for any later rollups, so this is the baseline, and this is the version that gets slipstreamed into the install. For CRM 4.0 I seem to recall the first slipstream version was at UR7.

Friday, July 13, 2012 10:18 AM
  • John, you might find something of use in my May 2010 blog post:

Outlook CRM client synchronisation explained

In there is a link to the whitepaper on how this synch process is handled in CRM 4.0. To my knowledge there has not been a republished version of this document for CRM 2011 specifically but in general the mechanisms hold true as far as I have ever been able to see. It does clearly indicate that if you delete a contact in Outlook this is not deleted from CRM but will no longer synch. This is not a guess, this is documented behaviour.

Bear in mind that your analogy of two databases to be kept in synch is not really accurate, while I recognise the term "synchronisation" can lead to that assumption. The model here deliberately allows for there to be differences so you are not simply doubling your storage, especially in the case of emails so you can promote to CRM then delete the copy from Outlook with no impact.

I can choose to keep many Contacts in Outlook and not have them also in CRM (eg personal contacts, partners, suppliers if my business model does not require them to be in CRM).

I can choose not to copy all CRM contacts to Outlook - typically so I don't get many thousands belonging to my colleagues, but using filters I can include all and only the ones I actually need.

You are correct in your findings that 'when one deletes an Outlook Contact record that has been synching with CRM, something happens somewhere to turn off synchronization with that record in the future'. Unfortunately you also say "none of you know what that might be" and "this flag does not live in the "MSCRM" folder." which are both simply not true. You said you did not want to get bogged down with technical details, but here it is:

That 'something' flag is an update to the IsDeletedLocally bit field in the IDMappingTable of the Outlook Synch Client Cache database stored locally on your machine. I can show this actually happening with a test contact - when I delete it in Outlook the value changes from 0 to 1 for the matching record (I can prove it is the matching record by opening the not-deleted CRM Contact with the matching ID which is also stored in that same table). This database is called OutlookSyncCache.sdf and is in the Client folder in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MSCRM (so the bit I got wrong was thinking this was in the Local part of your profile because you can only have one synchronising client, but Donna had you covered by telling you to delete both Local and Roaming anyway).

Mine is definitely in there. Once connected to that local database, this query quickly reveals what is going on:

select * from IdMappingTable order by IsDeletedLocally desc

It might be worth doing a search for OutlookSyncCache.sdf to see if for some reason your file is somewhere other than where we all think it is. For example, I installed the CRM client as administrator, so the administrator profile has a MSCRM folder, but this is not the one used. The one used is in my profile users\Adam\etc... so this is the one which would need to be deleted, as detailed in Donna's instructions.

Please be assured we are not "guessing". We are basing our answers on our experience, our knowledge, and the experiences of others who have gone before.

As you say, this is an old conundrum, which was discussed in this article about CRM 3.0 back in 2006:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2006/05/09/593601.aspx where it claims all you need to do is turn off the filters, synch and turn them back on again.

In other cases where that has not worked, people have successfully fixed this simply by removing and reconfiguring via the Config Wizard, such as in this thread from 2 years ago:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/crm/thread/192ee5db-bac4-4134-9387-79743ebce218/

Unfortunately it seems these methods are not working for you, and you also expressed no knowledge or understanding of how filters are configured or changed. So the simplest approach was to advise you to uninstall and delete. Yes, this probably takes longer to do but is more likely to have the desired effect - "nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" as Ripley would say.

At the point where you had 15 Contacts missing it might have taken less time to simply recreate those as new Contacts in CRM (maybe even doing this by export / data import or some other semi-automated method), merge them with their old versions keeping the new one as the master record and letting the synch take care of itself. Now you have deleted all of them this is no longer such a viable option.

Since you appear to have a CRM cockroach* in your machine, it would be really great if you could post back here with the resolution when MS follow up on your support call. That way the next time this comes up and affects someone else we can all direct them to this thread as the way to go when steps 1, 2, and 3 have failed.

*a bug which can survive even the most brutal treatment, uninstallation, deletion, formatting and still come back tomorrow.

Friday, July 13, 2012 11:51 AM
  • Thanks, Adam.

I do apologize for getting testy. It's just that I uninstalled CRM Client, then deleted both MSCRM folders, then shut down and did a cold reboot, in that order, not once, but twice. I felt I was being told I was, if not um, slow, then buffoonerously incompetent. ;)

Thank you for the research. We'll see what the support call turns up today. I will certainly post the results here.

Thanks again, everybody.

Friday, July 13, 2012 11:57 AM
  • Fair enough Adam on the clarification regarding slip streaming.  thanks

Regards, Donna

Friday, July 13, 2012 12:45 PM
  • @john, my apologies for anything in my response that came across as condescending, it wasn't the intent.  I was not questioning your technical competence.  I respond to a high number of requests for assistance and frequently find that people don't always take all the steps recommended to resolve an issue so I generally start from a reminder of the key steps. 

My reason to emphasize the need to remove both folders is because that is the only place that CRM stores references to the synced data unless you are using the CRM Offline Client.  If you are using the Offline Client then you will also need to delete the database for that client.  Maybe that is what is happening? 

The only other thing that I can think of that could be going on is that the CRM Outlook client was loaded under a different profile and there is possibly something left over from that installation? 

The challenge I am having at this point is that if the CRM Outlook Client is uninstalled, both MSCRM folders are deleted and the Offline Client is not in use, there is nothing left for CRM to reference with regard to any CRM information on the machine.

Regards, Donna

Friday, July 13, 2012 12:54 PM
  • @Donna,

I also apologize for being testy. Like the heat wave we just had, this issue is a huge frustration generator! I know people don't always follow IT instructions to the letter, I am pretty good at it. It was a combination of the frustration and the fact that I followed the instructions to a "T", twice.Thanks for your patience.

And today I did it a third time! Even before your post above, I decided to do a search of my computer for "MSCRM" and found a few things (see screenshot below) and deleted those. Still does not synch contacts! Grrrrrrr. Appointments and phone calls synched, so I know there is a connection.

Hopefully MSCRM Support can help today, this is most perplexing! Despite Adam's experiment, I'm wondering if there is still something in an Outlook folder somewhere that can be a problem? Unless CRM Online client is accessing my Recycle Bin, I cannot figure out how this is still happening!

Any possibility I need to change something in the cloud data through Internet Explorer??? I'm really casting about here, but this is simply mystifying.

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:13 PM
  • No problem John, I understand.  This has been going on a long time, a lot of people have tried to assist, you've gotten a lot of different suggestions, et.

There is nothing that I am aware of in the CRM database, whether OnLine or OnPremise, that saves information about the CRM Outlook Client Contacts.  All of that is saved on the invidividual machines in the MSCRM folders.

Just to ensure Contact syncing is working as expected, can you create a Contact in Outlook and then select the Track in CRM button.  If that works and creates a Contact that will prove that the sync is working as expected.  I'm going to assume that when you reinstalled the CRM Outlook Client you did not change any of your Synchronization filters and the filter for My Contacts is running as expected.

At this point, I think we've given you everything we have.  I would wait on Microsoft Support to jump in.  If I knew you were CRM Online, I would have suggested it before now.  I must have missed that when I was reviewing this thread so I apologize that I've contributed to your frustration by not suggesting it earlier.

I'll be interested to find out what is going on so please do update with the solution.  I learn something new everyday :) 

Thanks,

Regards, Donna

Friday, July 13, 2012 3:08 PM
  • Hmmm. Could synchronization be turned off for some reason?

Here's what I did:

I created a Bob Testa contact in Outlook in Anytown, IL

I created a Bob Testb contact in CRM from the IE browser

I did both a Synch by the Synch button, and I closed, then reopened Outlook. Nothing. Bob Testa did not show in CRM through IE, and Bob Testb did not show in Outlook Contacts.

Then I set Bob Testa to track in CRM and set a parent. Then I synched. Now Bob Testa is in both, but Bob Testb still is not in Outlook contacts.

What the heck????

Friday, July 13, 2012 3:32 PM
  • It is correct that if you create a Contact in Outlook it does not appear in CRM until you "Track" (aka "promote") it.

If you make a visible obvious change to Bob TestA in CRM through IE, such as adding a fictional phone number, then hit synch, does this change replicate to Outlook?

Now that you have found where the Outlook filters are can you check that the one for Contacts is still active, not stopped or deleted?

Friday, July 13, 2012 3:37 PM
  • @Adam

I changed Testa's phone number using the IE browser. Testa was created originally in Outlook, then I manually tracked it.

I did a Synch and the phone number was changed in Outlook. Testb is still only in the Cloud database, not in Contacts.

Friday, July 13, 2012 3:46 PM
  • Not sure about you @john, but I am finding it really challenging to provide a methodical path for you to follow to troubleshoot this issue because two people are interacting and providing information.

My recommendation would not have been to create the test contacts in both Outlook and CRM.  I would have suggested to just create the Contact in Outlook and select the Track in CRM button.  I asked that to ensure that Contacts are syncing. 

Once that test was confirmed, I would have asked you to make a change to a Contact you owned in CRM that does not exist in Outlook, save the change and see if that Contact was synced to your Outlook Contact folder. 

I supsect you don't need both of us responding, and this issue doesn't appear tough enough that you need two people providing guidance so I am going to step out.

Feel free to let me know if this doesn't get resovled and you need some additional help.  Have a good day. 

Regards, Donna

Friday, July 13, 2012 5:46 PM
  • I'm not finding it hard to have two suggesters. And I still have not heard from India.

Your first suggestion was done already, and it works. After tracking in CRM, I changed the phone number online through IE and I changed the FAX number in Outlook Contacts. Everything is fine both ways.

I'm working through my IE browser only, so I'm constantly changing contacts in the cloud that don't exist in Outlook. I've changed dozens today and none of them have replicated in Outlook Contacts. I don't know what that tells you, but nothing is happening there.

Lastly, I did create a contact in CRM online (Bob Testb) through the IE browser, and I just imported about 230 contact records from an Excel .csv file. None of them are populating in Outlook Contacts.

I'm open to suggestions from anyone at this point, so if you have ideas, I'm all ears!

Friday, July 13, 2012 6:49 PM
  • EUREKA!

Finally. You won't believe what it was. I'm not going to go back and figure out where I did this, but mucking around with the Outlook Contact filters was not a good idea. Along the way, I had deleted the line Owner = Current User, which had no effect because I am the only user at the moment.

But status should = Active. The default filter is shown in the bottom screenshot of my post from Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:48 PM

If you want all contacts to show, including inactive, then you select Status = and from the pick window you pick BOTH active and inactive so they show on one line, like this

Status   =     Active; Inactive

That will synch contacts that are Active OR Inactive. What I had done is gotten two lines in the filter, like this:

Status    =     Active

Status    =     Inactive

I was telling it to synch contacts than had status Active AND Inactive. That returns a null set, of course. The tech from India was able to view my screen and he had me fixed in minutes.  Thanks for all your help, sorry for my frustration. Based on your input and what I did with the Microsoft tech today, I will put the final procedure for this in the next post.

Cheers,

John

Friday, July 13, 2012 9:34 PM
  • If you delete an Outlook Contact record that was synching with CRM Online, that record will remain in CRM Online, but it will never resynch with Outlook even if you restore the Outlook Contact from the Deleted Items folder. A little flag of some sort is created for that Outlook Contact so it won't be synched again from CRM Online, as Adam Vero has pointed out. There MAY be a simpler way to get rid of that flag, but I don't know what it would be. So, if you inadvertently delete an Outlook Contact record and want it to synch again, I recommend the following.

NOTE: Once you have deleted an Outlook Contact record, do not restore it AND do this procedure or you'll have two Outlook Contact records. Also, uninstalling and reinstalling the CRM Client is unecessary. Please do not fiddle with the filters, that, too is unecessary. These are for users of CRM Online, I don't know if it is different from the server version.

Step 1:  Close Outlook

Step 2:  Go to the Start button, go to All Programs, find Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011, open that folder and click on the Configuration Wizard.

Step 3:   Delete the organization you are synching with.

Step 4:   Go to Windows Explorer and delete the MSCRM folders from both the local and roaming profile as per Donna's excellent instructions.

Step 5:   Now go back to the Configuration Wizard and add back the CRM Online organization you want to synch with. This should result in getting all your contacts.

What I do not know is if this will give you Outlook Contact doubles or just "fill in" the ones that had stopped synching, but I'm not going to find out. What I did to make sure I had no dupes and was completely in synch was to export all my contacts to a .pst file as a backup. Then I deleted all my Outlook Contacts. Then I reconfigured the organization (after also blasting out the two MSCRM folders). I now am in perfect synch with exactly the same numbers of CRM Online Contacts and Outlook Contacts.

Thanks again, everyone!

Friday, July 13, 2012 9:47 PM