Reinstall option missing...? RRS feed

• Question

• I've had quite a few issues with my WHS this week.
    First the backups were corrupted. After a mild panic, I found an extra backup though.

A few reboots later, i had a "windows\system32\config\system" corruption during boot, so I figured it was time for a reinstall.
    I booted up on the install disc which, by the way, took around 30 minutes(!) only to see that I was offered no reinstall option. Only "New install" is listed.
    What to do now? I don't mind reinstalling, but I do want to keep the files that were on the shares.
    I can't really boot into windows in order to copy them to an external drive...

Best regards,

Kasper Hansen
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:25 AM

All replies

• Kasper,

If you really don't have the re-install option, then your really only have one scenario remaining.
    You can disconnect all your Data drives, leaving just the one system drive in your server. At this point, install the software again and bring everything up to date and then shut down. Connect one drive to the server, but DO NOT add it to the storage pool or allow it to be used as a backup drive, when asked. You can then, on the server, just copy data from the 'old' Shared Folders to the 'new' Shared Folders. You may need to ensure that 'Show Hidden Files & Folders' is enabled, and don't forget that your data may only appear as a tombstone on any particular drive. Once the first drive is done, you can now add that drive to the storage pool and repeat the operation with any other data drives you may have.

You will loose any backups etc that existed, as the new WHS will not recognise them even if you copied them across.

Do you know why there isn't a re-install option, if it's a home built server, do you need to provide any drivers, and do you need to ensure that the system drive is in fact, the first bootable drive. What can happen, if you add any drives after the initial installation, is that they can in fact, end up being first in the boot order before the actual system drive, so a check needs to be done on that. Is there anything else about your system that could affect this order, before you start on the new install?

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:34 AM
  • Thanks... Would it be an option to hook each of the drives up to another computer and then transfer the files to that (or an external harddrive)?
    The system was originally two-disk but was upgraded to three. So I guess that all of the drives contain data, even the system drive?

While trying to fix the backup databases i connected a 4th drive to the machine (disconnect the DVD drive and swapped cables), but i didn't add this drive to the drive pool. This malfunction might have happened after disconnecting the drive again...
    I could of course try and reconnect the drive and see if it helps.

/Kasper Hansen
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:46 AM
  • Hi Kaspar,
    if you have an empty disk, you can try to put this in the position of the former system drive and check, if a Reinstallation is offered in this case.
    Is the drive recognized at the very first position?
    Is your SATA controller (if you use any) configuration set to IDE compatibility?

The message, that windows\system32\config\system is broken, is related to a broken file which is part of the registry. Unfortunately there is no way to recover this file directly.
    Before reinstalling, copy all files from folder DE\shares on the second volume of the primary disk to some other location, since this will be overwritten always with a new installation (as all the other data disks, but those you can disconnect, as Colin already said). Otherwise data stored on this disk may be lost, depending from your current WHS configuration and data balancing.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:20 AM
  • I ended up disconnecting all the drives and swapping the smallest (250GB) for a spare 320GB drive i had in stock.
    The reinstall is almost done now, and afterwards I'll connect all the old drives one by one and transfer all nescessary files.

I tried hooking up the old system drive to my laptop (using an external sata drive box), and was a bit surprised to see that the data partition was completely empty? The system volume looked as i should. All the shares were located on the 2nd drive. I didn't go through all the folders to see if some of them just contained tombstones, but there was around 200GB's of data there which sounds about right.

I thought that files were evenly distributed among the different drives? I haven't checked the 3rd drive but that was added recently, so unless the server transferred all files from one drive to another, I guess the redundancy is missing?!

Best regards,

Kasper Hansen
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:57 AM
  • Kasper Hansen said:

I ended up disconnecting all the drives and swapping the smallest (250GB) for a spare 320GB drive i had in stock.
    The reinstall is almost done now, and afterwards I'll connect all the old drives one by one and transfer all nescessary files.

I tried hooking up the old system drive to my laptop (using an external sata drive box), and was a bit surprised to see that the data partition was completely empty? The system volume looked as i should. All the shares were located on the 2nd drive. I didn't go through all the folders to see if some of them just contained tombstones, but there was around 200GB's of data there which sounds about right.

I thought that files were evenly distributed among the different drives? I haven't checked the 3rd drive but that was added recently, so unless the server transferred all files from one drive to another, I guess the redundancy is missing?!

well, an empty D:  partition (if you mean empty as no files there, but the folders) is just about right, if you have more than 2 drives and enough space for all backups and data.
    In this case a Reinstallation with all data disks should have worked (at least, if you would have swapped or cleaned the system drive before).

Files will not be evenly distributed - WHS with Power Pack 1 installed will try to keep your D: drive free of files and will fill the disk with the most used capacity first. After it reaches less than 10 GByte, the usage of the next disk will be started. Only files, which are in duplicated folders, you will find in DE\shares on two disks.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:03 PM