Anyone using Asus A8 motherboards (A8V or A8N) as a CLIENT? RRS feed

All replies

• It is really interesting to see your post. I have an Asus A8N5X (the same as the SLI Deluxe without SLI) and have been struggling with what I think is an issue with the NIC for a long time (but haven't seen any mention of problems with it anywhere else). I am SO glad to see your post. I was considering getting another NIC and disabling the onboard one, but really didn't want to since I don't have an extra PCI slot. I am using Vista and have tried both the Microsoft and the latest Nvidia drivers.

Now that I see that you are also seeing some issues (and not having the desire right now to troubleshoot for Asus/Nvidia) I will probably just clear a slot and stop fighting!

Thanks for your observation - these "problems" have been nagging at me since I installed Vista (at least that is when I think it started) - IM will drop on this machine, and music jerks, and automatic downloading of email pauses typing... I just recently turned off Cool and Quiet hoping that would settle things down (and replaced my router and cable modem!) So, it IS the NIC afterall. Thank goodness.

At least there is comfort in knowing I am not the only one! Let me know if you learn anything else.

Kathy

Thursday, March 8, 2007 6:08 PM
  • I wrote a response to you earlier, but I have the flu right now and my brain isn't working well, so I must have hit "Cancel" instead of "Post". (If it shows up twice, please be kind!)

It is really interesting to see your post, I have an Asus A8N5X (the same as the SLI Deluxe without SLI) and have been struggling with what I thought was a NIC problem (but I haven't seen any other discussion of issues with it anywhere). I have considered disabling the on-board one and replacing it but I have been reluctant because I don't have an extra PCI slot. I am using Vista and have tried both the built-in Microsoft drivers and the most recent from Nvidia.

Now that I see your report of similar problems (and not feeling like troubleshooting for Asus/Nvida right now), I think I will clear a slot and stop fighting!

I have had problems since I installed Vista (at least I think that is when the trouble began). Messenger disconnects, music jerks, and typing slows when email is automatically collected. So, it WAS the NIC afterall! I have replaced the router, cable modem and even turned off Cool and Quiet in an effort to smooth things out. At least there is comfort in seeing that SOMEONE else is seeing similar things and is considering the NIC as the source.

Thank you for your post. Please let me know of anything else you learn or if I can add anything to your troubleshooting efforts. (I am on my way to the store to buy a new NIC!) 

Kathy

Thursday, March 8, 2007 6:47 PM
  • SO sorry - I see my response now. Instead of to the store, I think I will get in bed!

Kathy

Thursday, March 8, 2007 6:48 PM