product key RRS feed

• Question

• Need help getting onecare to except product key just got it from best buy today

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:17 AM

Answers

• If you are getting an error about the key being invalid, you are mistaking at least one character or you have a misprinted key. The latter is very rare, though it can happen.

I hate the font that they use for the key - some characters are miserable to discern. J and I look all too much alike, as do O and 0.

I recommend that you use a magnifying glass to check the characters closely - I find that I need to do this. If you are still encountering a problem with activation, you have about 2 weeks to get activated, so I'd go ahead and open an email request to support, explaining the problem. See the FAQ and use the Trial user option to start the email request. If you can provide a digital image - scan or photo - of the key to the tech that responds, they can validate the key for you.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:15 PM

All replies

• Woody, what happens when you enter the product key?

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:15 AM
  • If you are getting an error about the key being invalid, you are mistaking at least one character or you have a misprinted key. The latter is very rare, though it can happen.

I hate the font that they use for the key - some characters are miserable to discern. J and I look all too much alike, as do O and 0.

I recommend that you use a magnifying glass to check the characters closely - I find that I need to do this. If you are still encountering a problem with activation, you have about 2 weeks to get activated, so I'd go ahead and open an email request to support, explaining the problem. See the FAQ and use the Trial user option to start the email request. If you can provide a digital image - scan or photo - of the key to the tech that responds, they can validate the key for you.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:15 PM
  • I need to renew my copy of this product. This product was installed by my son who used his e-mail address.  How do I change this without knowing his password. The product key has the following format: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.  The box says phone,e-mail and chat support.  Can you please help with this problem?

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 4:26 PM
  •  cowdog wrote:

I need to renew my copy of this product. This product was installed by my son who used his e-mail address.  How do I change this without knowing his password. The product key has the following format: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.  The box says phone,e-mail and chat support.  Can you please help with this problem?

The account is in his name, so you will need to sign in with his credentials - including his password. In fact, he should be the one signing in to renew the subscription. If he doesn't remember his password, he can get it reset at http://account.live.com

Alternatively, when OneCare expires, uninstall it - How to Uninstall Windows Live OneCare -and install again, using the retail key to create a new subscription with your email address. You will need to reinstall and activate with the same LiveID on any other computers that are also currently activated with your son's LiveID.

-steve

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 4:33 PM