slow RRS feed

• General discussion

• My laptop is slow, and so it is with the 2.0 Beta, more than ever before, and Windows Live One Care Beta 2.0 seems unable to do a virus scan on the smallest of files; still reads zero percent finished.  But the virus scan does seem to move like a glacier, it went to 2 percent after 12 hours.  I am going to pull the computer apart at some point and perhaps format the HD or toss it.  I paid 1500.00 for it USD, only 18 months ago, but I seem to need a new computer ever 6 months, I seem to kill thme for some reason.  My question is: if I leave the Beta doing a virus scan, leave it for weeks or months, it would seem possible to have it finishm extrapolating the rate it seems to work.  I will do that, as I may either have a bug or a corrupt thing or other, but does it seem that Windows Live One Care 2.0 Beta could get my virus, malware, etc, out of my laptop if I let it do it's thing for long enough.  I have looked at every possible help feature and done several searchs (given my laptop runs now like a hamster wheel) and the only thing left is to do a radical complete re-format and reinstall of the OS (Windows XP Home).  But my laptop seemed to slow down recently, maybe about a month ago; before that it was my mainstay for my work (I have another laptop with Vista Ultimate and 3 GB of RAM).  Before I start the long slow virus scan, I am doing a scan disk and defrag first, but I will report if my laptop ever does finish the virus scan, I gave up immediately on trying a "Tuneup" using the Beta.

I'll check back here NLT X-mas,

H98C20

Addendum: I gave my hp DV4000 laptop to the Geek Squad for them to reinstall the OS.  Hoepfully when Windows Live One Care 2.0 comes out of Beta and I can install the final product on this older laptop (which will be like-new I hope),

I plan to install the 2.0 final version, my specs for that laptop seem on the face of the matter within the required range for the 2.0.

FYI, my older laptop's CPU is 1.73 GHz, RAM is 1.0 GB, HD is 100 GB, and the OS is Windows XP Home; just so some will know what the 'specs' were on the device in question.

Cheers!

H98C20

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 2:36 AM

All replies

• Since it slowed dramatically before you even tried the beta, it doesn't surprise me that OneCare's scan is taxing it even more. Without knowing the machine specs or determining if there are conflicting processes, I'd guess that a format and fresh Windows install will indeed speed things up unless the hard drive itself is failing, which you'll soon find out with the disk checks.

I would not bother trying the infinite scan as the process is more than likely hung. If you want to review this with support and/or file a bug to report that slow virus scan on your PC, use the information below:

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 -use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

Please file a bug on Connect:  https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

-steve

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 4:45 PM