Adding drive to backup server behaviour RRS feed

• Question

• I did post this in another thread but it has been marked as answered for a different question and I think this may have been missed and lost in the other topic. Perhaps should have had it's own thread in the first place instead of me trying to keep things neat. Anyway, onwards....

I attempted to add an external USB drive to the server to be used to backup the WHS Server shares.  However, every time I tried to add it I got an error message on the wizard saying that the disk had no partition on it and I needed to add a partition and reboot. 

I partitioned the drive several times with one primary partition and formatted each time to no avail.  I was about to give up when I thought I would try removing the assigned drive letter from within Disk Manager so that the drive had no letter assigned. Once I had done this and ran the wizard again the drive was recognised and the wizard proceeded to complete. I now have a backup of my more important shares.

Is this the correct behaviour? If so it might be worth while changing the message in the wizard to mention that the external drive should not have any drive letters assigned as well as having a partition.

Cheers.

Andy

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:39 PM

Answers