What I like to See in the Next Windows Live One Care RRS feed

• General discussion

• Here's a Few of the things I still wish One Care had

#1: Improved Virus/Spyware scans, Reason As Consumer Hard drives get closer to A Teribyte and more and More data is on them a virus scan needs to look at the date of when a file was last accessed to verify if it needs a re scan saving time in the proccess.

#2: The Ability to select a second storage drive on a pc  for Backing up and if your using Vista Home Pro & Ultimate Bakup does not get installed.

#3: E-mail scan, So far I've seen Hundreds of threats get through E-mail as self exicuting attachments wind up on my computer weither it's in my junk mail folder or in the Inbox.

#4: Monthly report should have a report now or a Weekly report setting

#5: Support for Monitoring security settings in Every Browser not just IE 7 or IE 8  

#6: OC Circle Monitoring & Remote Options: If both my Computers on Vista and XP the xp computer needs some attention I on my Vista Computer should get an alert for tune up or a virus/spy scan since it wasn't done in days. also if if the bakup or maybe away to view the remote  computers Monthly report from the Hub be cool too.

These are a few of my Ideas Please add yours too.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Mikro,

I'll bite. :-)

#1 - a no-brainer... The scan performance, detection rate, and cleaning capabilities need constant improvement.

I'll add another:

#7 - Get rid of that "Quarantine Failed" message and provide more meaning information about a detected infection, location, and action taken. If the infection has been blocked, but left in place due to it being in a compressed archive or an email store, for example, tell the user that - not "Quarantine Failed."

#2 - we've got that already in the workaround for Centralized backup. I doubt we'll see this changed.

Backup, however, needs a ton of work to make it better. I won't get into the whole file type/exclusion thing, but configuring, reconfiguring, and running backup should not require a PHD. ;-) Permissions and Shares need to be handled better, especially NAS devices. Why can't OneCare do it for the user - guide them through creating and managing the Share location?

#3 - I *never* want OneCare to scan my email. Period. In order to do that, trickery needs to take place in that it needs to intercept the traffic via a transparent proxy and that causes more problems than it resolves.

#4 - Monthly report and Support log from the logging tab need to be combined into a reporting section available from the main UI. The current monthly report should be able to be created on demand and be an activity report, which can be scheduled to run and present information automatically *and* even store that data on the server for your account accessed via the Member Center for all computers on your subscription. The details for information currently presented in summary format needs to be able to be accessed.

#5 - sounds reasonable to me

#6 - Yes. Plus, give the user the ability to monitor more than 3 PCs - meaning that we should be able to add more PCs to the Circle. Let me see the information online, not just on the hub PC.

Let me schedule actions via the Member Center.

Let me choose to ignore an alert from a remote PC on the Hub so that the OneCare icon on the Hub PC isn't Red due to something I can't deal with on the remote PC. Show it red in the monitor list, but not the main icon when I acknowledge the issue on the hub or Member Center admin page.

#7 (see above)

#8 Let me disable Defrag

#9 Let me define what drives will be Defragmented

#10 Let me postpone a Tune-up for "x"minutes

#11 Let me suspend a running Tune-up for "x" minutes

#12 Get rid of the yellow warning in the Tune-up results for Cleanup not set and for Defrag didn't complete due to much fragmentation...

-steve

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 12:53 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Hi Mikro,

I'll bite. :-)

#1 - a no-brainer... The scan performance, detection rate, and cleaning capabilities need constant improvement.

I'll add another:

#7 - Get rid of that "Quarantine Failed" message and provide more meaning information about a detected infection, location, and action taken. If the infection has been blocked, but left in place due to it being in a compressed archive or an email store, for example, tell the user that - not "Quarantine Failed."

#2 - we've got that already in the workaround for Centralized backup. I doubt we'll see this changed.

Backup, however, needs a ton of work to make it better. I won't get into the whole file type/exclusion thing, but configuring, reconfiguring, and running backup should not require a PHD. ;-) Permissions and Shares need to be handled better, especially NAS devices. Why can't OneCare do it for the user - guide them through creating and managing the Share location?

#3 - I *never* want OneCare to scan my email. Period. In order to do that, trickery needs to take place in that it needs to intercept the traffic via a transparent proxy and that causes more problems than it resolves.

#4 - Monthly report and Support log from the logging tab need to be combined into a reporting section available from the main UI. The current monthly report should be able to be created on demand and be an activity report, which can be scheduled to run and present information automatically *and* even store that data on the server for your account accessed via the Member Center for all computers on your subscription. The details for information currently presented in summary format needs to be able to be accessed.

#5 - sounds reasonable to me

#6 - Yes. Plus, give the user the ability to monitor more than 3 PCs - meaning that we should be able to add more PCs to the Circle. Let me see the information online, not just on the hub PC.

Let me schedule actions via the Member Center.

Let me choose to ignore an alert from a remote PC on the Hub so that the OneCare icon on the Hub PC isn't Red due to something I can't deal with on the remote PC. Show it red in the monitor list, but not the main icon when I acknowledge the issue on the hub or Member Center admin page.

#7 (see above)

#8 Let me disable Defrag

#9 Let me define what drives will be Defragmented

#10 Let me postpone a Tune-up for "x"minutes

#11 Let me suspend a running Tune-up for "x" minutes

#12 Get rid of the yellow warning in the Tune-up results for Cleanup not set and for Defrag didn't complete due to much fragmentation...

-steve

Hmmmmm

Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:28 AM
  • Though I agree with Steve's answers in general and those mentioning better messaging for the user have value, I see many of these as "feature requests" which don't actually increase true protection, though they may not reduce it either.

My only difference would be with # 5, which is badly mis-understood. The idea that you can actually somehow improve the protection for other browsers with OneCare is missing a simple fact, OneCare is currently just tied into the built-in file download structure in Internet Explorer itself, which is why IE 7 is required. OneCare doesn't "protect" IE, it simply takes the files passed to it by IE 7 and uses the download controls IE 7 provides to improve its access to these files.

To do this for other browsers would require re-writing these browsers, not OneCare. Since few of these browsers support things like ActiveX directly anyway, they really don't need this level of integration and the existing file system level scanning is sufficient to protect from what they do download. Internet Explorer requires this level of protection precisely because it is so tightly integrated into the operating and filing systems.

The thing I'd really like to see added to OneCare to improve protection is the ability to scan the system for currently installed applications, informing the user of those which should be unpdated or otherwise removed. After Windows/Office [Microsoft] updates, the most important thing now is keeping key applications current, especially those often launched by web downloads.

The list of vulnerabilities of common applications like the Sun Java JRE, Apple QuickTime, Adobe Acrobat Reader & Flash and many others is constantly growing and difficult for even someone knowledgeable to keep current. Like the operating system itself, if these applications are kept up to date, the attempts by malware to attack them as an avenue into the PC will often fail. So even if the latest malware detections don't include something new and unknown, it may be unsuccessful in its attack if the vulnerability it attempts to exploit isn't available in the installed version on the PC.

Many of the current malware packages that exist will attempt several different operating system and application vulnerability attacks and often many will have been fixed months or even years ago. These attacks succeed simply because the typical PC owner isn't even aware the updates are available. This can be blamed on ineffective update systems in some cases, but the real issue is that the user isn't aware and OneCare already contains the ability to identify installed software by both certificate and signature methods.

OneCareBear

Thursday, April 10, 2008 5:30 PM