WHS Customizer Add-in... RRS feed

• General discussion

• Well, over the Christmas Holiday, I finally found enough time to develop a Settings add-in. Its name is called “WHS Customizer”. My goal here is to add little utilities, hacks, etc…  that will allow you to customize your Home Server. The first included utility, is one that allows you to change yours Servers home page website image. It makes it easy to change the image using a simple 3 step process (load, select, save). It also has a built-in library that stores all the images that you’ve created. In the following months I will add additional features to the add-in along with improving the image changer module.

Programming the Windows Home Server is new to me and without the information Brendan Grant put together this would have defiantly been an up-hill struggle. http://www.brendangrant.com and http://ihatelinux.blogspot.com check them out! Thanks Brendan!!!

WHS Customizer can be download here http://hinrichs.ws/whscustomizer.zip

If you have any questions, problems, or ideas for other modules for WHS Customizer, please let me know…

Thanks,

Jay Hinrichs

01/11/08 Update: I just put out Version 1.0.1. It mainly fixes a couple of bugs and adds a few new features. Brendan gave me a list of things to look at and I think I addressed them all. If you find anything else or have any questions please let me know... Thanks!

Saturday, January 5, 2008 7:35 PM

All replies

• so far looks great,

one question and one suggestion:

for the question: can you briefly describe the process by which the add-in actually changes the image, that is how would it differ from lets say if I went in using photoshop and scaled my own image over the family and saved.

and for the suggestion: when the "open" dialogue box loads when you click "load new image", it comes up on "My Documents" which is confusing since it is actually the "My Documents" of the Administrator user account on the OS partition of the physical WHS. Instead, it would be better if it launched in the \\server directory...

hope that helps

jpearl

Sunday, January 6, 2008 2:08 AM
  •  

A simple easy to use tool, thank you

One thing I would like clarified though please are the pixel dimensions of the image?

Despite resizing my picture, to 240 x 320 pixels, its still too large.

I will think of any other utilities and let youknow

Adrian

Sunday, January 6, 2008 11:37 AM
  • jpear,

Thanks for your input!

At a fairly high level the process is as follows.

Once you've identified the area you want to capture using the capture rectangle, the full size image is cropped then resized to the correct dimension. The new image is then overlaid on top of a copy of the the original background image then save to the original directory using the correct file name. Yes using photoshop you can do the same, it's just alot more work...

Suggestion.

I'm already working on the next version of the image changer, which will open the file dialog at the server directory. I'm also thinking about creating my own open file dialog which will allow you to preview the images prior to selecting one.

Thanks,

Jay

Monday, January 7, 2008 7:44 PM
  • Great  Add-In

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:57 AM
  • Hi!

I just downloaded your addin (v 1.0.1) and installed it on my German language WHS. It seems that the addin does not use the right paths on localized versions of WHS because it installs in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ instead of C:\Programme\Windows Home Server\ ....

Consider using either the environment variable %ProgramFiles% or

System.Environment.GetFolderPath(System.Environment.SpecialFolder.ProgramFiles); in .NET.

Regards, Alex

Sunday, January 27, 2008 11:42 AM
  • Alex,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will fix this in the next revision...

Thanks,

Jay

Monday, January 28, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Jay,
    Today, Saturday 26th, I tried to install your whs customizer. I have installed about 7 or 8 other addins and everything went smoothly. Your addin showed a progress bar completed but never finished. I let the progress bar stay on the screen for about 20 minutes! I eventually just cancelled the install.
    Can you make any suggestions? I believe I have the latest version, I downloaded it today.

Several days ago I installed the RCM for PP1. Could it be that your add in is not compatible with the PP1 powerpack?

Russ David
    rmdavi@gmail.com
    If you reply use the gmail address
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 8:45 PM
  • this link is no good
    branca's net
    Saturday, January 1, 2011 1:56 AM