RDP into the WHS desktop via RDP client RRS feed

• Question

• I've read through all the RDP posts, maybe I missed it but I don't see an answers.

I can RDP into the WHS desktop across my local LAN just fine. (192.168.1.x to 192.168.1.Y) but I can not connect to my WHS's desktop via RDP from anywhere outside my LAN. Yes, I have RDP port forwarded to my WHS... I even tried tossing the WHS into the DMZ and I get nothing.

Suggestions?

Thursday, April 26, 2007 6:12 PM

Answers

• You need to log into the server locally, or via RDP from your LAN. Go to Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Exceptions. Highlight the Remote Desktop entry and click Edit.  Next click Change scope and select Any computer (including those on the Internet).
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 7:09 PM
  •  Doug Knox wrote:
    You need to log into the server locally, or via RDP from your LAN. Go to Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Exceptions. Highlight the Remote Desktop entry and click Edit.  Next click Change scope and select Any computer (including those on the Internet).

thanks... painfully obvious.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 7:56 PM

All replies

• You need to log into the server locally, or via RDP from your LAN. Go to Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Exceptions. Highlight the Remote Desktop entry and click Edit.  Next click Change scope and select Any computer (including those on the Internet).
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 7:09 PM
  •  Doug Knox wrote:
    You need to log into the server locally, or via RDP from your LAN. Go to Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Exceptions. Highlight the Remote Desktop entry and click Edit.  Next click Change scope and select Any computer (including those on the Internet).

thanks... painfully obvious.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 7:56 PM
  • You can also make one other change, in build 1371, that eliminates the need to forward port 3389 to your WHS machine for RDP access.

On the server in the C:\Inetpub\Remote folder, locate DEFAULT.ASPX.  Open this file in Notepad.  You'll find a line that includes "homeserverconsole.exe -b".  Replace this with "explorer.exe".

Now, when you log in via Remote Access, and go to the Computers tab, when you click Connect to my home server, you'll be presented with the usual password prompt, but once you connect, you'll see the Windows Home Server Desktop.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:31 PM
  • Does this also work in 1390?
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:58 PM
  • Since 1390 has not been released, I can't answer that.  Build 1371 is the latest publicly released build.
    Friday, April 27, 2007 2:16 AM