Major problem error code 0x80004005 RRS feed

• Question

• i was installing a bluetooth usb device and when i restarted, I would see Windows XP Pro loading then a blue screen and computer would restart. I put in XP CD and chose to repair installation. When finished, I got message that windows must activate. Activate now? yes, get error that computer cannot activate error code 0x80004005. I have no access to my computer. How can I fix this problem? my computer was activated with all windows updates before crash.

Thanks,

Mike

Friday, February 9, 2007 5:46 PM

Answers

• Please try to possible work-around by Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306081.  Use Method 2.
    Friday, February 9, 2007 6:47 PM
  • To resolve the problem, repair the installation of Microsoft Windows XP by using the Windows XP CD, and then replace the files. To do so, follow these steps:
    1. Insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer. When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD:
    Press any key to boot from CD

Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or DVD drive, see the documentation that came with your personal computer or contact the manufacturer.
    2. When you receive the following message, press R to start the Recovery Console:
    This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation by using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
    3. Press 1 to access your primary drive installation with Recovery Console.
    4. When you are prompted to do so, type the administrator password. If you have not set an administrator password, press ENTER to continue.
    5. Type cd %SystemRoot%\System32, and then press ENTER.
    6. Rename the following files by using the REN command. To do so, follow this syntax:
    REN file_name.extension file_name.old
    Wpa.dbl
    Pidgen.dll
    Actshell.html
    Licdll.dll
    Regwizc.dll
    Licwmi.dll
    Wpabaln.exe
    7. Type the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive followed by a colon (for example, "D:"), and then press ENTER.
    8. Type cd i386, and press ENTER.
    9. Type the following commands one at a time. Press ENTER after each command:
    expand licwmi.dl_ %systemroot%\system32
    expand regwizc.dl_ %systemroot%\system32
    expand licdll.dl_ %systemroot%\system32
    expand wpabaln.ex_ %systemroot%\system32
    expand wpa.db_ %systemroot%\system32
    expand actshell.ht_ %systemroot%\system32
    copy pidgen.dll %systemroot%\system32
    10. Type Exit and press ENTER to restart the computer.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 9:16 AM

All replies

• Please try to possible work-around by Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306081.  Use Method 2.
    Friday, February 9, 2007 6:47 PM
  • To resolve the problem, repair the installation of Microsoft Windows XP by using the Windows XP CD, and then replace the files. To do so, follow these steps:
    1. Insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer. When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD:
    Press any key to boot from CD

Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or DVD drive, see the documentation that came with your personal computer or contact the manufacturer.
    2. When you receive the following message, press R to start the Recovery Console:
    This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation by using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
    3. Press 1 to access your primary drive installation with Recovery Console.
    4. When you are prompted to do so, type the administrator password. If you have not set an administrator password, press ENTER to continue.
    5. Type cd %SystemRoot%\System32, and then press ENTER.
    6. Rename the following files by using the REN command. To do so, follow this syntax:
    Wpa.dbl
    Pidgen.dll
    Actshell.html
    Licdll.dll
    Regwizc.dll
    Licwmi.dll
    Wpabaln.exe
    7. Type the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive followed by a colon (for example, "D:"), and then press ENTER.
    8. Type cd i386, and press ENTER.
    9. Type the following commands one at a time. Press ENTER after each command:
    expand licwmi.dl_ %systemroot%\system32
    expand regwizc.dl_ %systemroot%\system32
    expand licdll.dl_ %systemroot%\system32
    expand wpabaln.ex_ %systemroot%\system32
    expand wpa.db_ %systemroot%\system32
    expand actshell.ht_ %systemroot%\system32
    copy pidgen.dll %systemroot%\system32
    10. Type Exit and press ENTER to restart the computer.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 9:16 AM
  • Thank you very much, that did it.

Mike

Saturday, February 10, 2007 4:21 PM
  • You're welcome.  Glad it worked.
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 2:37 PM
  • What do u mean by:-

Rename the following files by using the REN command. To do so, follow this syntax:
    Wpa.dbl
    Pidgen.dll
    Actshell.html
    Licdll.dll
    Regwizc.dll
    Licwmi.dll
    Wpabaln.exe
    EN file_name.extension file_name.old

Do REPLY......

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 11:27 AM
  • Locking this thread

Please repost your non-WGA related inquiry in the Windows XP newsgroup: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.
    ------------------------------------------

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 8:08 PM