Update failing RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I got today a "Status: At Riesk".

I getting a "Urgent: Update your virus and spyware protection".

When I clik the "Update" button, I am getting "Windows Live OneCare was unable to update".

What can I do?

What is the newest version?

Information:

Live OneCare version: 2.0.2392.4

Virus and spyware definition version: 1.22.3271.0

Firewall policy versin: 1.2.28.99

Thanks

Sunday, October 28, 2007 12:30 AM

Answers

• Check this out a reinstall of wloc 2.0 on both my computers fixed the defs not updating issue.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:48 AM
  • What Won't update the Spy.Virus definitions or the software ?

Currently there's a known bug with the spy/viruses definitions not updating a reinstall fixes this mess but it should be fixed soon with an update or server side fix and it should be all fixed up there are to many other post in general 2.0 forum and in the install forum on this It'll be fix soon is all I know but your not the only one.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:32 AM
  • I just posted an announcement. There clearly is a server side issue, so don't panic. It is a beta. What has likely happened is that the signatures are targeted to an engine or software version and someone forgot to set the version data correctly when the latest signatures were deployed to the server. Once they identify it, it should be fixed within a day or so. Of course, since it is the weekend, it will likely be at least another day or two before it gets fixed.

Don't reinstall unless you absolutely can't stand looking at the red status.

-steve

Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:05 PM

All replies

• What gives on Saturday Oct 27th one care came to a screaching hault as the Defs failed to update on both my xp & Vista computers anyone else seeing this ?

I'm wondering if it's my stuff or is WLOC service under going some kind of maintenance at there end

Or is the beta over and it's time to go back to public one care production build 2.0 final

Sunday, October 28, 2007 12:16 AM
  •  

Second that, both my pc's wont update either...

I tried using http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4BC2594B-95AB-4235-B5B8-41656B38480F&displaylang=en which is a possible fix for when the update fails, but no success because the fix looks for the installation in Program Files rather than Program Files (x86)...

Other than that i dont know why my pc's wont update, anyone else had this problem?

-- Jake

=== Edited by TheShadow @ 28 Oct 2007 1:35 AM UTC===

Actually i just realised that i have this problem on another pc which is not 64 bit, however, the utility provided in the link above dosen't want to work on installation folders that are not in c:\program files\, "only 32-bit operating systems are supported at this time."

Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:19 AM
  • One of my PCs running to 2.0 beta went red today. We'll see if the other two go red as well. There may be a server issue.

-steve

Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:41 AM
  • Check this out a reinstall of wloc 2.0 on both my computers fixed the defs not updating issue.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:48 AM
  • Yes, I'm afraid that there may be a problem with the latest build and definition updates - probably server settings.

-steve

Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:02 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Yes, I'm afraid that there may be a problem with the latest build and definition updates - probably server settings.

-steve

Yeah and now everything not synced in the circle and photo bakup It's a freaky mess  

even My networked printer F-ed up Grrrrrrr

But the Updates are ok now.

I'm fixing the Mess it's just wasting hours I could of been doing something else

Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:06 AM
  • I have used One Care ( Ver 2.0.) for several months now and never had a problem.

Today, I received a warning that my virus and spyware definitions needed updating.  That's a little surprising since I have automatic update turned on. I tried several times this afternoon and evening to get those updates but couldn't .

Finally I uninstalled and reinstalled the software and now all status messages are "green".

Strange!

Sunday, October 28, 2007 3:51 AM
  • One of mine went red today and fails to update.  This has happened before, best not to get too excited.  They should NOT go red in a few days without updates, but they do if the sever is not responding. 

Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:22 AM
  • Same thing is happening to me today. I'm going to reinstall and see what happens.. Odd.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:22 AM
  • Same here, my pc's won't update either.I notified Microsoft and am waiting for a cure!

Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:35 AM
  • According to the other post

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2331411&SiteID=2

we need ot reinstall which will suck Sad

-- Wouldnt mind an offline fix microsft Stick out tongue

Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:37 AM
  • Well I'm going to wait to reinstall until I hear back on this... Odd Odd. :-)

Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:42 AM
  • Don't panic, let it ride for a day or two, it's not like your signatures are from a year ago.  There's not anyone there to fix it right now and it will probably turn red again before there is.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:50 AM
  •  TheShadow wrote:

According to the other post

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2331411&SiteID=2

we need ot reinstall which will suck

-- Wouldnt mind an offline fix microsft

Wait until after Monday before you panic.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:52 AM
  •  Jeshimon wrote:
    Don't panic, let it ride for a day or two, it's not like your signatures are from a year ago.  There's not anyone there to fix it right now and it will probably turn red again before there is.

I fixed it by reinstalling everything.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 5:40 AM
  •  Mikro wrote:
     Jeshimon wrote:
    Don't panic, let it ride for a day or two, it's not like your signatures are from a year ago.  There's not anyone there to fix it right now and it will probably turn red again before there is.

I am betting by Wednesday it will be fixed without reinstalling.  After that I'll worry about it if hasn't been fixed.  If I reinstall on a Saturday night wont I be reinstalling the same broken code?

Sunday, October 28, 2007 5:47 AM
  •  Jeshimon wrote:
     Mikro wrote:
     Jeshimon wrote:

I am betting by Wednesday it will be fixed without reinstalling.  After that I'll worry about it if hasn't been fixed.  If I reinstall on a Saturday night wont I be reinstalling the same broken code?

Everything running great after reinstall everything good I heard it was a server whoops which was quickly fixed

Sunday, October 28, 2007 6:14 AM
  • You guys see my post ? A reinstall fixed it.

But it was known server whoops in time should fix it's self.

If it really bugs you reinstall but if you can wait it should fix it's self.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 6:16 AM
  •  Mikro wrote:

Everything running great after reinstall everything good I heard it was a server whoops which was quickly fixed

I've read that too, but it seems to be pure conjecture at this point, I'll wait for a bit and see, the last time it happened it cleared on its own.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 6:22 AM
  •  Jeshimon wrote:
     Mikro wrote:

I've read that too, but it seems to be pure conjecture at this point, I'll wait for a bit and see, the last time it happened it cleared on its own.

There on it but it takes a while for it to filter through the net.

Other reports are starting to fly in the general 2.0 board

Sunday, October 28, 2007 6:25 AM
  • I find it a bit difficult to believe they are hard at it in the wee hours of Sunday morning.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 6:42 AM
  •  Jeshimon wrote:
    I find it a bit difficult to believe they are hard at it in the wee hours of Sunday morning.

This has been going on for the better part of saturday and there's always some one out there keeping an eye on the servers. I can't put it any clearer but when I said there on it it's a known issue and will get addressed as soon as they can ussually with in 24 to 48hrs. or maybe put on a to fix list for monday morning.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 6:53 AM
  •  

this is *** it will not update and i have followed the troubleshooting to the t someone help
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:00 AM
  • What Won't update the Spy.Virus definitions or the software ?

Currently there's a known bug with the spy/viruses definitions not updating a reinstall fixes this mess but it should be fixed soon with an update or server side fix and it should be all fixed up there are to many other post in general 2.0 forum and in the install forum on this It'll be fix soon is all I know but your not the only one.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:32 AM
  • thank you for your information i know i am not alone but i still spent the mony and i should get some type of reimbursment don't you think my pc is open to virus

Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:36 AM
  •  jdmorgan101 wrote:
    thank you for your information i know i am not alone but i still spent the mony and i should get some type of reimbursment don't you think my pc is open to virus

this is a beta there's no activie subscription here it's free till June/Julyish 2008 some time then your paid subscription kicks back in upon release. at least that's what my account set to do.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:39 AM
  • That's pretty much what I am trying to point out.  I am willing to wait.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 8:40 AM
  • Same thing happened to me too. It does little to inspire confidence in this product if it can cripple itself so easily and then leave you vunerable until you either search for an answer or it gets going again by itself.

I've already taken it off my XP machines because of unreliability issues and have only had it on my Vista64 because Defender stopped working and installing Onecare switches it off.

What a mess, I've never experienced Protection like this before! 

GH

Sunday, October 28, 2007 10:39 AM
  •  Graham Hoyle wrote:

Same thing happened to me too. It does little to inspire confidence in this product if it can cripple itself so easily and then leave you vunerable until you either search for an answer or it gets going again by itself.

I've already taken it off my XP machines because of unreliability issues and have only had it on my Vista64 because Defender stopped working and installing Onecare switches it off.

What a mess, I've never experienced Protection like this before! 

GH

Aaaaah Beta Software you gotta love it NOT

Sunday, October 28, 2007 10:42 AM
  •  Mikro wrote:
    Aaaaah Beta Software you gotta love it NOT

Yes!....   Except, the versions I removed from my XP stuff wasn't beta, they were honest to goodness paid for!

But, Hey! I,m in a good place about that now, so I'll not dwell on it ;o)

GH 

Sunday, October 28, 2007 10:58 AM
  •  jdmorgan101 wrote:
    thank you for your information i know i am not alone but i still spent the mony and i should get some type of reimbursment don't you think my pc is open to virus

Since this just started on the 27th, I don't think the the defs are old enough to leave your PC vulnerable.  I am going to ride it out till Wednesday.  After that, I will start kicking and screaming to high heaven. 

Sunday, October 28, 2007 12:09 PM
  • Whew....at least I know it is not on my end as others are having the same issue.

Just hate to see that red ball in system tray....lol

Sunday, October 28, 2007 12:49 PM
  • I am having the same issue on my PC.  Just wondering has anyone found a fix other then reinstall? 

Sunday, October 28, 2007 12:56 PM
  • Same here. One machine last night and the other this morning. I'll wait for a while too.

- Bill

Sunday, October 28, 2007 12:56 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. When I click the "Update" button, nothing happens.

I've had this problem since 27 Oct 2007.

Thanks

Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:31 PM
  •  Bill_G wrote:

Same here. One machine last night and the other this morning. I'll wait for a while too.

- Bill

This is what happened to me.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:45 PM
  • I have been having the same issue since last night.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:52 PM
  • I am red here as well... and cannot update. Also if you right click and try to go to Get Help at Help Center it tryes to take me to a site http://www.pseudopartner.com/OneCare/support but it looks like its a bad url/fake search engine can anyone else confirm this?
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:02 PM
  • I had a similar problem.  It seemed to start after I updated my configuration (earlier this week) to participate in the Online Photo Backup test, although that test went OK.  The only other change was the recent update to version 2.0.2392.4

After exhausting all the toubleshooting steps, I uninstalled, rebooted, cleaned-up, and re-installed.  On reinstall, OneCare initially had a 15 day expiration.  Then I associated it with the Live ID I activated during the Online Photo Backup test.  Look's like it's running again, but I lost all of the backup history logs.

Current Virus and spyware definition version: 1.22.3325.0

Note: The supplied troubleshooting tool (CalcDeleteDB.exe) is not consistent with the Vista 64 bit environment.  The log contains a record of the commands, so it's possible to edit them to address the /Program Files (x32)/ directory - unfortunately it's of no use for this problem.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:04 PM
  • I just posted an announcement. There clearly is a server side issue, so don't panic. It is a beta. What has likely happened is that the signatures are targeted to an engine or software version and someone forgot to set the version data correctly when the latest signatures were deployed to the server. Once they identify it, it should be fixed within a day or so. Of course, since it is the weekend, it will likely be at least another day or two before it gets fixed.

Don't reinstall unless you absolutely can't stand looking at the red status.

-steve

Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:05 PM
  • Steve,

Just so you know, one or more of us at least heard so for information's sake...WLOC 2 beta is not the only internet security suite that has this problem crop up now and then. Both my previous "well established, mainstream" IS suites did the same thing occasionally due to server problems and signature definitions that are one or two days out of date are not going to endanger anyone's PC. The difference between those two other mainstream IS suites is that they didn't bother to alert the user to the problem like WLOC 2 beta does. Any server (plus all their backups and shadow copies) can experience problems at anytime, nothing is foolproof.

One of the main reasons for letting it be and waiting for a fix at the server side is that it provides valuable feedback to the IT's running the show and the developers as well. That's what testing beta software is all about, fixing the bugs when it fails. If anyone decides to give any beta software a try, expect failures either in the software or in the server(s) that update it. If you wish to remove the beta software and go back to something you're more comfortable with, then do so but don't complain that it's unreliable until after the final release is out and running on your PC. If it fails then...you have a legitimate complaint.

No offense intended to anyone, It just hit me before my 2nd cup of coffee.

With that said, it better be fixed by the last stroke of twelve of the 2nd night!
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:35 PM
  • I uninstalled before checking the forums.  I just figured it was a beta glitch and a quick re-install would do the trick.

Unfortunately, the beta download site is just giving me an error. 

Anybody have a direct link to the download?

Thanks!

Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:38 PM
  • Please disregard the above post. 

I cleared my cookies and temp files and got into the site fine.

Thanks!

Sunday, October 28, 2007 3:08 PM
  •  

Thanks Steve.  Good to know what the problem most likley is.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:10 PM
  •  IcefireAvatar wrote:
    I am red here as well... and cannot update. Also if you right click and try to go to Get Help at Help Center it tryes to take me to a site http://www.pseudopartner.com/OneCare/support but it looks like its a bad url/fake search engine can anyone else confirm this?

Saw the same thing here.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 6:14 PM
  • Yeah, that's strange. It also says the domain is for sale. Wonder if WLOC 2's servers were infected with a virus.
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 6:33 PM
  •  Kirk M wrote:
    Yeah, that's strange. It also says the domain is for sale. Wonder if WLOC 2's servers were infected with a virus.

The bad help link is a bug. Use this - 

Support for 2.0 Beta - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

That link should be fixed for most in the latest signature refresh, which is, of course, broken now.

Microsoft is working on the server side signature problem.

-steve

Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:58 PM
  • Actually, I'm quite impressed with what happens when it fails to update. Once it fails and the small ballon pops up over the system tray, clicking on it takes you to the correct help link (and help is getting better with age). But I'm even more impressed with what happens when you click the "Get help with OneCare" link in the left sidebar. The resulting pop up window offers automatically fixing your permissions right there under "Help with OneCare Update". Of course it doesn't solve this particular problem but more IS suites should have this fixit type feature.
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 8:17 PM
  • That fix-it option is *way cool* for the items that they can automate. I had the opportunity to meet with members of the team responsible for that functionality and they are working hard to really make that area even better!

-steve

Sunday, October 28, 2007 8:40 PM
  • Steve

Thanks for your help on this  issue. My Onecare finally updated this evening after 2 days of red warnings

I wasted a bit of time trying to sort it but did not do anything drastic.

I wonder if Mcirosoft would find some quick way of letting users know when it is a problem at their end - if only an e-mail to the forum. Although some message to actual users would be better.

It has happend to me on an ealreir occasion so I was not going to uninstall before monday evening, but but others have clearly had a lot of unnecessary problems

Sunday, October 28, 2007 9:03 PM
  •  

I just wanted to give an update while eating dinner my red went away and I am back to green.  The update is now working again. Smile
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 9:21 PM
  • Hey Ray,

My OneCare is still failing to update. is there something you did besides attempting to manually update that fixed the problem (like a reboot or something). I'd love to know.
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 9:23 PM
  •  Kirk M wrote:
    Hey Ray,

My OneCare is still failing to update. is there something you did besides attempting to manually update that fixed the problem (like a reboot or something). I'd love to know.

+1 (+2 if you count my spousal unit's computer)

Sunday, October 28, 2007 9:32 PM
  • I  did nothing

Yesterday I tried all the things, reboot, sychronise date and time, reset permissions. No use.

Rebooted this a.m. , stll red. Switched off and went hiking.

Switched on this evening. Stll red. Tried manual update. Still red.

Then checked my e-mail and some webistes and without me even noticing at first it was green.

So just grin and ignore it for at least 24 hours.

Strangely, my monthly report had gone, as though my period since installation had been reset to zero.

My now vanished monthly report had been reported no suspicious malware and no suspicious attacks on the firewall.

Maybe this is because I have a router with a hardware firewall.

Or maybe it is as Paul Thurrott says in his review of OneCare

"the reality is that Windows users have to do very little to protect themselves. The problem, of course, is that some Windows users do absolutely nothing about security, either from a technical standpoint or by exercising some simple common sense"

So maybe we can relax a bit with a red icon for a few days, and just take care whn clicking those e-mails and looking at websites.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 10:36 PM
  •  Jeshimon wrote:

Kirk M wrote:
    Hey Ray,

+1 (+2 if you count my spousal unit's computer)

Okay, I'm green once more. glad it didn't take until Tuesday. Good job all!
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 11:15 PM
  •  Jeshimon wrote:
    One of mine went red today and fails to update.  This has happened before, best not to get too excited.  They should NOT go red in a few days without updates, but they do if the sever is not responding. 

Mine is green again, I tried manually updating several times, but in the end it greened up on its own.
    Monday, October 29, 2007 12:31 AM
  • Green, again! Don't know why, though.

Cheers

Monday, October 29, 2007 12:44 AM
  • after several repeated attempts to manually update failed, i restarted the comp and it turned green on its own. weird, but ok.

Monday, October 29, 2007 1:29 AM
  •  RHinNC wrote:

Whew....at least I know it is not on my end as others are having the same issue.

Just hate to see that red ball in system tray....lol

Well, Red is gone Green is back. No rebooting, nothing, just turned back green.

Monday, October 29, 2007 1:31 AM
  • I tried manually, failed, let the computer alone and now green status.

I hope M$ guys learned something! Smile

I believe somebody forgot to change something to the files.

Monday, October 29, 2007 3:06 AM
  • Still red here.

Will give it until tonight before I reinstall.

Ed

Monday, October 29, 2007 11:07 AM
  •  

Hi Ed,

I read many places where they say "Do not uninstall / Reinstall".

You may have more problems. Just wait.

Your status is red but your computer is not compromise.

I would say that your computer is still very well protected.

Your definition is simply not up-to-date but have the all

previous definitions. Unless there is a serious new virus

in the new definition and active out there, your will be fine.

Monday, October 29, 2007 12:15 PM
  •  EMF1967 wrote:

Still red here.

Will give it until tonight before I reinstall.

Ed

Before reinstalling, Ed, can you confirm that you are on the 2.0 beta and that you've been using it a while and updating successfully all along? If not, then you should refer to the general update troubleshooting tips here - 

Information to help troubleshoot and resolve update problems - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286736&SiteID=2

You'll note that a reinstall is suggested if all else fails, but that doesn't mean you're fixing the problem if the cause is actually something else. Once 10 days of no updates elapses again, you'll be back in the red.

-steve

Monday, October 29, 2007 5:42 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Before reinstalling, Ed, can you confirm that you are on the 2.0 beta and that you've been using it a while and updating successfully all along? If not, then you should refer to the general update troubleshooting tips here - 

Information to help troubleshoot and resolve update problems - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286736&SiteID=2

You'll note that a reinstall is suggested if all else fails, but that doesn't mean you're fixing the problem if the cause is actually something else. Once 10 days of no updates elapses again, you'll be back in the red.

-steve

Steve,

This suggestion should be posted somewhere very visible and stickied.  Stating that if WLOC won't update it might be a server problem, don't panic, we'll let you know if you need to reinstall, but chances are it will be fixed soon.  May save SOME people the anxiety they suffered this past weekend and prevent the loss of backup data.

Jim

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 2:10 AM
  • I have paid for live one care and my computer status is still at risk but one care won't let me update.  I don't know how to get my com back in the green status.  I have restarted it three times and still no luck.  I have macafee's old firewall on my com can't figure out how to get rid of it.  Is that my problem if so any suggestions on how to get rid of it?  Please help me.  Thank you so much.                                                                         Edward

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:29 AM
  • I also have had this s---ing problem. When asked to visit website it automatically says no connection to internet. Even re down load has not helped as the green initially appears only to change to updates. neede. Come on lets get this fixed

Thursday, November 29, 2007 5:20 PM
  •  Dave Wallace wrote:
    I also have had this s---ing problem. When asked to visit website it automatically says no connection to internet. Even re down load has not helped as the green initially appears only to change to updates. neede. Come on lets get this fixed

Dave, if a reinstall does not resolve the problem in that it returns, something is preventing OneCare from communicating with the udpate servers - likely on your PC. 

Information to help troubleshoot and resolve update problems -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286736&SiteID=2

I'm going to lock this thread as it originated regarding a specific problem that was on the server side - not the problem you are facing.

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:18 PM