AD Authenticated users Connecting to OCS via the Access Edge RRS feed

• Question

• I've heard of this being done several times and was wondering if it is or isn't a Microsoft supported config and what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing this:

Taking "internal'" AD authenticated users log onto OCS via the Edge server.  Typically the SRV records for the SIP domain are pointed to the FQDN of the Access Edge. 

I've seen folks do this for a variety of odd reasons.  I know it's going to put bandwidth loads in odd places in your infrastructure and I imagine it may introduce some latency but other than that I can't think of any other reasons to not do it.

I appreciate any comments on this and any insight as to it's supportability.

Monday, March 30, 2009 7:45 PM

All replies

• Hello John,
    As we discussed, We dont recommand users log onto OCS via Edge servers, But there is no perticular document on Suppotability Statement. As you already mentioned few reasons including bandwidth consumption and extra load on the Edge. Lets say if you have 5000 users who are using this kind of configaration, Imagine the load on your Edge server. Lets see what others has to say on this on this.

Jithendranath Reddy
    Monday, March 30, 2009 10:12 PM