HP WHS on the way, best way to migrate to it? RRS feed

• Question

• So I couldn't resist New Egg's price on the 1TB HP WHS and I ordered one to replace my home built machine which only had room for one Internal drive. I have about 700GB of data and backups currently on the server, I know i can copy the data via the network over but what about the backups?

My setup is 1 250GB Internal SATA drive and 1 750GB External USB 2 drive running WHS RTM.

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 1:12 AM

Answers

• You will not be able to migrate backups. You can move data, and on the clients, you will need to re-run Discovery.exe to point the clients to the HP unit.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 1:57 AM
  •  

Thanks I was afraid of that, I guess this is one of the downfalls of a product not really designed for the technical.
    Tuesday, December 25, 2007 3:41 PM

All replies

• You will not be able to migrate backups. You can move data, and on the clients, you will need to re-run Discovery.exe to point the clients to the HP unit.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 1:57 AM
  •  

Thanks I was afraid of that, I guess this is one of the downfalls of a product not really designed for the technical.
    Tuesday, December 25, 2007 3:41 PM
  • Actually this is wrong you can migrate backups, by first backing up the backup database files to and extrernal drive not part of the storage pool and then restoring them on the new server. I was able to do this and now all my backups for each computer are on the new server. The backups don't show up until you add each computer to the server via the connector.

Now I can switch servers when ever I need to or even rebuild a machine from scratch if needed and not worry about losing my backups!

Sunday, December 30, 2007 8:03 PM