VB or C# RRS feed

• Question

• I'm an experienced VB developer having used more or less all versions between VB1 and VB.Net 2008.

I've decided to try to gain some certifications (got MCAD in VB.Net 2005 quite a few years ago) and was considering trying to do the learning and exams in C#!

Would you think this to be a mistake though and I should stick to VB?

I'm an IT Contractor so having C# would give me a wider range of contract to apply for in the future!

Regards

Simon

• Edited by SM Reynolds Wednesday, February 2, 2011 11:29 PM Improve grammer!
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 11:27 PM

Answers

• It doesn't matter much with the new exams. The original exams for MCAD and MCSD let you take optional exams either in VB or C#. But all the newer exams are the same in both languages. At the beginning of the exam you are asked to choose the language, and then the exam is the same, except that the (few) questions that contain a code fragment will display the code in the chosen language.

After you pass the exam, your transcript will NOT show the language that you chose when sitting the exam, so I'd suggest choosing the language with which you are most familiar; it doesn't make any sense to use another language. Nobody will know the language in which you took the exam.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, March 4, 2011 3:13 PM
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:47 AM
  • I agree with Alberto in terms of choosing the language for the exam. It really doesn’t matter which language you choose, you will be able to pass the exam, so you should choose the language which you are most comfortable with.

In terms of Jobs, there are more jobs out there that are looking for candidates with C# skills than VB, so choose your battle wisely.

Hope this is helpful.

Rubel Khan

My Blog!
    Connect with me at LinkedIn
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Friday, February 4, 2011 4:25 PM

All replies

• It doesn't matter much with the new exams. The original exams for MCAD and MCSD let you take optional exams either in VB or C#. But all the newer exams are the same in both languages. At the beginning of the exam you are asked to choose the language, and then the exam is the same, except that the (few) questions that contain a code fragment will display the code in the chosen language.

After you pass the exam, your transcript will NOT show the language that you chose when sitting the exam, so I'd suggest choosing the language with which you are most familiar; it doesn't make any sense to use another language. Nobody will know the language in which you took the exam.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:47 AM
  • I agree with Alberto in terms of choosing the language for the exam. It really doesn’t matter which language you choose, you will be able to pass the exam, so you should choose the language which you are most comfortable with.

In terms of Jobs, there are more jobs out there that are looking for candidates with C# skills than VB, so choose your battle wisely.

Hope this is helpful.

Rubel Khan

My Blog!
    Connect with me at LinkedIn
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Friday, February 4, 2011 4:25 PM