New server setup and user questions RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I have finally gotten the install process completed and have questions on setting up, use, and the impact of future releases. I have a 250 Gb drive as my OS drive. Vail set it up in three partitions: C at 60 Gb, DE DISK, and an unidentified partion at 100 Mb. THe sizes of these disks in the graphical vs volume list do not agree. What is the DE DISK and is it available for use?

I installed a 1.5 Tb storage disk and did a simple form of the dynamic drive. If I populate with data can this disk be removed and installed in a different computer running XP, 7 or whatever will read NTFS, and be seen? Or does Vail have some type of proprietary file system?

My use for Vail is primarily file storage and media streaming, and computer backups. Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to set up these features? I currently have all my data on a NAS box that does not handle the streaming. I wish to copy all these files to the Vail box and be able to stream the music/video/photos over the internet.

I have read several posts on the removal of Drive Extender from this package. Since Vail will be my first server package, migrating from V1 is not an issue. From reading it appears the removal of DE will affect a users ability to add new drives down to road. If I were to never need to expand the storage the removal of DE would not be an issue. Is that correct? I am a bit concerned Microsoft may be ready to kill the package.

My apologies for the non-technical questions but I have not seen a setup article that covers these issues.

Thanks

GmH

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 3:28 AM

All replies

• What Vail "package" did you install? The current Vail release from Connect will expire January 10, 2011, so what is the point of installing it now? Are you under the impression that DE has been removed already in the Vail you just installed? Unless you have an advance release of the upcoming Vail release supposedly in January, then DE is still included in what you installed.

Art (artfudd) Folden
    ------------------------------
    "roadkyng" wrote in message news:e19e4246-a81a-4b7a-9b72-1f157593e9c0@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Greetings,

I have finally gotten the install process completed and have questions on setting up, use, and the impact of future releases. I have a 250 Gb drive as my OS drive. Vail set it up in three partitions: C at 60 Gb, DE DISK, and an unidentified partion at 100 Mb. THe sizes of these disks in the graphical vs volume list do not agree. What is the DE DISK and is it available for use?

I installed a 1.5 Tb storage disk and did a simple form of the dynamic drive. If I populate with data can this disk be removed and installed in a different computer running XP, 7 or whatever will read NTFS, and be seen? Or does Vail have some type of proprietary file system?

My use for Vail is primarily file storage and media streaming, and computer backups. Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to set up these features? I currently have all my data on a NAS box that does not handle the streaming. I wish to copy all these files to the Vail box and be able to stream the music/video/photos over the internet.

I have read several posts on the removal of Drive Extender from this package. Since Vail will be my first server package, migrating from V1 is not an issue. From reading it appears the removal of DE will affect a users ability to add new drives down to road. If I were to never need to expand the storage the removal of DE would not be an issue. Is that correct? I am a bit concerned Microsoft may be ready to kill the package.

My apologies for the non-technical questions but I have not seen a setup article that covers these issues.

Thanks

GmH

Art Folden
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 7:43 AM
  • Yes, DE is in the package I installed. I assume that is what the DE DISK I see on my OS drive is associated with. I installed before I realized the package was going to pumpkin in Jan. It appears with all the negative comments on this board, coupled with the info, or lack there-of coming from Microsoft that Vail is not going to go to market. I probably need to search for a different solution, such as using Windows 7 and installing third party apps to do what I need. Pity, as this product had such promise. Interestingly, Maximum PC magazine did an article in the DEC issue about setting up a Vail box and had a fairly glowing write up, including an explanation of DE which now has been axed.

I would still like to test and see if the package will fit my needs. Again, is there a tutorial or documentation on how to set up each feature? Or being Beta ware is the tester left to fend for himself?

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 1:34 PM
  • Yes, DE is in the package I installed. I assume that is what the DE DISK I see on my OS drive is associated with. I installed before I realized the package was going to pumpkin in Jan. It appears with all the negative comments on this board, coupled with the info, or lack there-of coming from Microsoft that Vail is not going to go to market.
    I don't think you should assume that. It would seem that if Vail does go to market it is very unlikely that it will contain DE, but some people think that is a good thing. As to whether it does go to market, we will have to wait and see.

In any case, there is little point in spending time evaluating the present version.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 2:35 PM